New to DAW -- question about setting up Roland V-Drums to Cakewalk MIDI track

Joel Pixton

I've been binge watching Creative Sauce youtube channel, specifically all his videos regarding Cakewalk and MIDI drums.

However, I have a slightly more specific question I was hoping someone could possibly clear up, or link me to something to read or watch:

I'm trying to set up TWO Roland V-Drum modules (TD-8 + TD-6) into one Cakewalk MIDI project track recording. 

Long story short, I pulled my V-Drums out of storage and forgot I had purchased a second set on Craigslist for cheap. So, I set them both up into one bigger set. 

I posted a similar question in the Roland V-Drum forums, but, almost left more confused and embarrassed how little I understand about MIDI channels, etc.

I was told to change the TD-6 module to Channel 11, and leave my main module TD-8 on Channel 10. Cakewalk is currently playing the TD-8 pads through SI Drums, but, isn't detecting the TD-6.

Currently I have the TD-6 MIDI OUT -> TD-8 MIDI IN -> TD-8 MIDI OUT -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Audio Interface -> Cakewalk.  

Essentially -- the TD-8 is my main module, and the TD-6 is carrying an extra snare, ride, and some crashes. 

How do I get the TD-6 in with the TD-8 simultaneously into SI Drums? 

Also, will SI Drums even carry that many sounds for that many pads? Example, two different snare sounds, etc.? Or, is limited considering it's a free plug in?

Any help, direction, or input is sincerely appreciated. Here is picture of the beat laboratory in question:

VDrums1.jpg

Don't the drums have USB? Daisy chaining midi with DIN cables will result is a huge increase in latency from the TD 6 as it has to pass through the midi system of the TD 8. So using USB will solve that. Latency is very noticeable on digital drums so I record all my tracks only listening to the Drums brain so there's no latency at all.

My kit has an Auxiliary input so I patch my headphones from my Audio interface using a 1/8" TRS cable you can usually get at a dollar store. Then I plug my headphones into the drum brain jack. I guess with 2 modules you would need a small mixer? Or possibly there's a way to daisy chain the headphones and aux inputs. You sort of need a 4x4 interface. 

SI drums only has 8 kit pieces. It looks like your kit is at least 20 pieces.  You will need to use a better VST with more pieces. All the free kits are limited so I won't bother mentioning those. But example a full set of Addictive drums has 18 kit pieces.  But that actually doesn't matter as you can deal with that later buy using more than one Drum VST. 

As far as the recording of the kits this will depend on if you use Midi cable or USB. 

With the DIN Midi cable you select the Scarlett Midi as the input for the midi or instrument  track and set it to OMNI so both channels will be received. I actually don't see a reason to change the TD 6 to channel 11. Unless it's re triggering the TD8. But I would be then inclined to change the note assignments in the TD 6 to sounds not being used in the TD8.  Then they can share a channel. 

If you use USB midi you will install the Roland Midi driver and the kits will be identified in Cakewalks Midi device list and in the track header as an input source. I'm pretty sure they probably share the driver so not sure if they will be listed as TD6 and TD 8 or just Roland TD drums and Roland TD drums2 

I would record the midi while monitoring in the drums brain. Once the midi is recorded you can edit it and assign it to any drum kit VST.  The Roland has good drum sounds that you could then simply route the midi tracks output back to the kit and then connect the audio output to the Scarlett and record that. I do this with mine for the hi hat because it seems to be in better sync with the pedal. 

This leads us to also requiring a VST that can have a drum map applied so CC events etc are correct. Lucky for you most good drum VST will already have drum maps for Roland kits. As you see in the screen shot below.

1892262688_Screenshot(516).thumb.png.4b92b49408e748c0575403908cd5235e.png

Edited by John Vere

2 hours ago, Joel Pixton said:

How do I get the TD-6 in with the TD-8 simultaneously into SI Drums?

That can be accomplished several ways in Cakewalk.

I like to use plain MIDI tracks - as opposed to Instrument tracks, for inputs in Cakewalk. Then I also load VSTi synths individually (again, no instrument - combo track).

If you use that method, for instance, you can create (at minimum) 2 separate MIDI tracks - 1 each for the TD-6 input, and the TD-8 input, and label them MIDI in TD-8, and MIDI in TD-6.

-I don't know exact TD-series assignment details, but by your description, I would then:  Set the MIDI in TD-6 track input (In / Out section in the track inspector, etc.) using "(Focusrite MIDI in) [TD-8] - MIDI Ch. 11" (again going by your drum module & chaining settings description above) - and the MIDI in TD-8 track input using "(Focusrite MIDI in) [TD-8] - MIDI Ch. 10" (those assignments names I am guessing, but you get the idea I hope!).

-In that way, you can then route either, or both of those inputs, to the synth of your choice, in the output selection of each track's properties.  -I don't know if SI Drums responds to multiple MIDI channels, but if you play around with the MIDI channel assignment (in the track inspector - MIDI Channel properties) you can make the output channel the same on each of the two MIDI (input) tracks, -or whatever works.

Below is a simplified general example screenshot - from the track view perspective (depending on zoom, etc., you may need to adjust..) In it there are two MIDI input tracks, each uses the same MIDI device, but the input channel filter is different for each one. Then, they both output to the same synth:

CbB_2-MIDI-Inputs-1-Dev-Input-TrackVw-basic-snip01_2023-04-16.png.8244bcbadc814dd69753abd1f4df5347.png

-In the example, I don't have Input Echo = On - so you would also need that engaged (button lights up) to play through and drive the synth - don't forget that.

-You could also record both MIDI tracks, and later modify each one separately if needed, etc. -Or not.  And, a similar routing could be used if you want to play MIDI tracking out to the drum modules, -provided the MIDI pass-through works that way on them, I suppose. MIDI thru has changed over the years. -You don't mention your Cakewalk MIDI output settings, maybe you don't use the modules that way.

2 hours ago, Joel Pixton said:

Also, will SI Drums even carry that many sounds for that many pads? Example, two different snare sounds, etc.? Or, is limited considering it's a free plug in?

As @John Vere mentions, SI Drums is very minimal, but you could always have several instances, each with different kit pieces. -But I agree with him - on that angle you would be better off with a better drum VSTi, but that would not likely be free, of course.

And then too - using the audio output(s) from the drum modules, or a combination, is possible for layering things too - unless you don't want those sounds.  -But anyway - routing is the key, though it can confuse the best of us. Sounds like you are working on it - just keep at it!    -I can only hope this helps.

Edited by JnTuneTech
Guessing - clarifying connection names!

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

I do this with mine for the hi hat because it seems to be in better sync with the pedal.

Ah yes - trying to get a good hi hat pedal simulation on digital drums - something I have wrestled with for years. I still just would rather get a real hi-hat setup and mic it, but where I live & record it would probably get me in a lot of trouble! 😅

16 hours ago, JnTuneTech said:

That can be accomplished several ways in Cakewalk.

I like to use plain MIDI tracks - as opposed to Instrument tracks, for inputs in Cakewalk. Then I also load VSTi synths individually (again, no instrument - combo track).

If you use that method, for instance, you can create (at minimum) 2 separate MIDI tracks - 1 each for the TD-6 input, and the TD-8 input, and label them MIDI in TD-8, and MIDI in TD-6.

-I don't know exact TD-series assignment details, but by your description, I would then:  Set the MIDI in TD-6 track input (In / Out section in the track inspector, etc.) using "(Focusrite MIDI in) [TD-8] - MIDI Ch. 11" (again going by your drum module & chaining settings description above) - and the MIDI in TD-8 track input using "(Focusrite MIDI in) [TD-8] - MIDI Ch. 10" (those assignments names I am guessing, but you get the idea I hope!).

-In that way, you can then route either, or both of those inputs, to the synth of your choice, in the output selection of each track's properties.  -I don't know if SI Drums responds to multiple MIDI channels, but if you play around with the MIDI channel assignment (in the track inspector - MIDI Channel properties) you can make the output channel the same on each of the two MIDI (input) tracks, -or whatever works.

Below is a simplified general example screenshot - from the track view perspective (depending on zoom, etc., you may need to adjust..) In it there are two MIDI input tracks, each uses the same MIDI device, but the input channel filter is different for each one. Then, they both output to the same synth:

CbB_2-MIDI-Inputs-1-Dev-Input-TrackVw-basic-snip01_2023-04-16.png.8244bcbadc814dd69753abd1f4df5347.png

-In the example, I don't have Input Echo = On - so you would also need that engaged (button lights up) to play through and drive the synth - don't forget that.

-You could also record both MIDI tracks, and later modify each one separately if needed, etc. -Or not.  And, a similar routing could be used if you want to play MIDI tracking out to the drum modules, -provided the MIDI pass-through works that way on them, I suppose. MIDI thru has changed over the years. -You don't mention your Cakewalk MIDI output settings, maybe you don't use the modules that way.

As @John Vere mentions, SI Drums is very minimal, but you could always have several instances, each with different kit pieces. -But I agree with him - on that angle you would be better off with a better drum VSTi, but that would not likely be free, of course.

And then too - using the audio output(s) from the drum modules, or a combination, is possible for layering things too - unless you don't want those sounds.  -But anyway - routing is the key, though it can confuse the best of us. Sounds like you are working on it - just keep at it!    -I can only hope this helps.

BFD3 can accommodate up to 118 kit pieces

@John Vere, I appreciate immensely the detailed post you've provided above. You understand exactly what I'm trying to accomplish and brought up a few things I had not even considered -- most importantly the latency issue inherit in daisy chaining the TD-6 to the TD-8. You brought up a lot of other good points I'm considering right now -- specifically post routing the MIDI data back to the Roland module and recording the Roland drum sounds -- also, using more than one Drum VST to increase the drum sounds, but I was hoping to start with a few things first to avoid turning my post into an essay. 

Two things I had forgot to mention in my original post:

1. The TD-8 and TD-6 neither have USB outlets. I found out recently that they're kind of dinosaurs now.
  2. My Scarlett 2i4 audio interface only has one single MIDI input, and is the reason I've been solely focused on getting the two modules into the one daisy chained DIN MIDI signal. 

Since you mentioned the latency issue inherit in daisy chaining the two modules together via DIN cables, my focus has shifted a bit and I was hoping I could ask a few additional questions regarding this:

• Does this mean that the latency from the TD-6 would cause the MIDI data recording to be out of sync with the TD-8? In other words, the TD-6 would take a little more time making it's way through the MIDI system of the TD-8 and be delivered to the recording out of sync with the TD-8? 
  • Or, does it mean the MIDI signal would still be synced in time, but, the daisy chaining with DIN cables would increase the latency of the signal as a whole?

The latter wouldn't be a problem because I plan on using the brains as the source of monitor audio, just like you suggested. I'm currently running a 1/4 TRS cable from TD-6  Stereo Mix out -> TD-8 Stereo Mix In -> Head phones as the monitor.

The former would be a huge problem considering my live drum session recordings would have to be in sync, or, I'd have to scrap the extra module for now until I purchase an audio interface with an extra MIDI in.

Also, you said:

"I actually don't see a reason to change the TD 6 to channel 11. Unless it's re triggering the TD8. But I would be then inclined to change the note assignments in the TD 6 to sounds not being used in the TD8.  Then they can share a channel. "

I was hoping I could ask just a few more questions regarding this as this really is at the heart of most of my confusion.

• I currently have the TD-6 assigned to different sounds (extra snare, ride, and crashes), is this what you mean by note assignments? Or, does changing note assignments pertain to something to do with MIDI mapping?
  • Would changing the note assignments in the TD-6 to sounds not being used in the TD-8 (in order to share a channel) -- help the latency issues possibly? Also, would it change the sounds I'm using as the monitors?

Here is picture of the sounds I currently have assigned to the TD-6 and am hoping to achieve with one live MIDI recording track with no syncing issues.

VDrums1Secondary.jpg

23 hours ago, JnTuneTech said:

I can only hope this helps.

It helps tremendously! First off, I hadn't even considered using two separate MIDI tracks and using them for each module and channel. So, I'm definitely going to refer to everything you posted and give it a try. I sincerely appreciate your consideration and for posting screen shots, too. I'm going to read through it carefully again tomorrow and try your instructions. 

22 hours ago, JnTuneTech said:

Ah yes - trying to get a good hi hat pedal simulation on digital drums - something I have wrestled with for years. I still just would rather get a real hi-hat setup and mic it, but where I live & record it would probably get me in a lot of trouble! 😅

I'm glad you guys mentioned this because it was the first thing I noticed when I first started playing into SI Drums. The Hi Hat pedal is a mess and the open/ close capture was disheartening. 

9 minutes ago, Joel Pixton said:

The Hi Hat pedal is a mess and the open/ close capture was disheartening. 

Wow - I didn't even think of trying to use hi-hat pedal control on SI drums - and do they really even have actual pedal control I wonder? Usually only the full-featured drum samplers have that. -I really do hope you find a way to get a good drum VSTi to try this stuff out, or you may be disappointed with the results! Such a nice set of pads deserves a good virtual kit.

Even cheaper virtual drums can get by with decent one-shot samples & minimal layers on a lot of the kit, -but the one thing that really sticks out to me is when the hi-hat can't truly be expressive - at least with rock, country, of course jazz styles for heaven sakes. But the good samplers do seem to be getting closer recently.

-You should definitely try your 1st method, chaining the MIDI and then into the Scarlett input, I think. using basic short MIDI cables between two devices and a decent PC interface never caused any latency issues for me. -I still have an OctaPad that I often chain through another Roland legacy keyboard, and then into my PC interface, and have had no latency issues. -Of course, your mileage may vary.  But it can't hurt to try - you have all the gear already.

Recording two tracks for separating kits can be good, but it still is best as John said to make sure each kit piece has a separate MIDI note, so that there are no duplicate notes assigned between the two kits. -Almost essential really.

And chaining both controllers with same MIDI channel would not change latency, but if there are duplicate notes between the kits - again, there would be big problems with that, -I'm sure that's why that method was recommended. Plus, control info, such as hi-hat pedal position, would overlap.  -Anyway, keep at it, you will find a good setup!

It’s like this. MIDI 1.0 has been with us since the 80’s. It is not multiplex so each data package has to wait it’s turn. Think of 20 people waiting to go through a door. Each midi event can take about 1 ms to travel its route to the next midi port. Short cables might improve this by a .01 ms. 
So when you play a 4 note chord on a keyboard the whole chord will theoretically take 4 ms. But then there’s also system latency and I actually measured this and tested all my midi devices. My Roland A49 and Yamaha drum kit were around 5 ms for a single note. My 1987 Roland controller was 11ms. I can test my A49 with both 5 pin and USB. They were very close to the same. 
I also tested a daisy chain of the A49 into a Sound Canvas (1987) and the 5 ms jumped to 16ms. 
So newer midi devices seem faster because of advances in system design but that’s as good as it’s going to be with Midi 1.0. We now will have Midi 2.0 which is multiplex and latency will no longer be an issue. 
My guess is your kits are only around 6ms each so a note hit on the TD 6 will possibly be 12 ms or a bit more later on the midi grid. That’s easy to fix by simply quantizing the track. 
You can easily test how much latency you have. 
Open a basic project which will give you a audio and a midi track. 
Put a mike within a inch of a drum pad and feed it to the audio track.  
Set the midi track to record the kit. 
Optional would be to listen to the metronome in headphones. Set in record and strike it a few times.  Set the time ruler to millisecond or samples and zoom in on the transients. The difference between the audio and midi tracks is the midi latency.  The difference between the midi track and the grid line is the just showing you how sloppy your timing is 😬

17 hours ago, JnTuneTech said:

Wow - I didn't even think of trying to use hi-hat pedal control on SI drums - and do they really even have actual pedal control I wonder?

I'm really so new to this stuff that I didn't even realize pedal control is a special feature, or a work around issue at all. SI Drums apparently does have pedal control because I was able to 'choke' the hi-hat, and open/close it. When I first successfully opened my first instrument/midi tracks, I hit my drums, heard sounds from SI Drums, and I was ecstatic. But, the Hi-Hat choke was so inconsistent that I knew this wasn't going to be as easy as just pressing record. The Hi-Hat would be completely closed on my drums and module, but, completely open on SI Drums -- but if I was really careful and slower with the attack - the hi-hat would close on SI Drums.

I was actually hoping the Hi-Hat close/open inconsistencies could be circumvented with some sort of 'dialing in' technique that was common, but, it doesn't sound like it is. That's why I'm glad you guys brought this up because it would've been a mystery to me and I would've assumed I'm doing something wrong.

After reading John's post, I have a suspicion that it might be a latency issue -- where the data from hi-hat pedal likely isn't being delivered/ processed by the computer in the delicate time needed to work in 'symbiosis' with the Hi-Hat pad. 

I'll admit, I'm on a strict financial budget at the moment, so I won't end up with a paid Acoustic Drum VST soon, though, I will aim for it to accommodate my full kit and Hi-Hat pedal. 

Right now, I'm going to try the method you suggested and learn how to do the Note Assignments, and see what kind of work flow I can get into. If the Hi-Hat expression is too much of a mess to clean up or re-route/ record -- I think it might be in my best interest to record direct audio for time being.

11 minutes ago, Joel Pixton said:

I'm really so new to this stuff that I didn't even realize pedal control is a special feature

Well, not necessarily "special" - but things like the Roland system use a combination of different notes for different positions, and a constant CC value sent so that some software can use that to determine the sound layer and/or other features that make the sound engine respond more realistically. -That feature is probably not in SI Drums at all, and so you are only getting note changes - that only happen at open and close on the pedal, - I am guessing. That has nothing to do with latency.

7 hours ago, John Vere said:

The difference between the midi track and the grid line is the just showing you how sloppy your timing is 😬

I refuse to accept this, it must be the latency, too!😁

Thank you for clearing this up. I appreciate the analogies because it all does make perfect sense the way you described it. It sounds like with the V-Drums I might be a bit luckier using because there are no 4-note chords to compile latency, mostly individual pads -- but it does sound like a 2.0 MIDI capable module will eventually be the way to go when pursuing this means of data drum recording.

Also, I like your audio and MIDI record test technique for acquiring the exact latency times. Considering I'll be attempting two MIDI tracks, one for each module -- I think it sounds like a good idea to start the recording sessions by hitting a pad from each module simultaneously a few times in order to 'align' them together afterwards.

5 minutes ago, JnTuneTech said:

...things like the Roland system use a combination of different notes for different positions, and a constant CC value sent so that some software can use that to determine the sound layer and/or other features that make the sound engine respond more realistically. -That feature is probably not in SI Drums at all, and so you are only getting note changes - that only happen at open and close on the pedal, - I am guessing. 

This makes much more sense than the latency. So, essentially -- the key to acquiring good Hi-Hat expression is a good sound engine. I see what you're saying by SI Drums not likely accommodating this feature.

When John says that he routes the hi-hat pedal MIDI track output back to the kit and then connects the audio output to the Scarlett and records that for better sync from his Hi-Hat pedal -- this made me wonder if it was a common 'timing' issue, though, it sounds like not even Addictive Drums 2 drum engine (I think that's what he is using) - not even that is perfect with its realistic response - not as realistic as the actual Roland Module.

24 minutes ago, Joel Pixton said:

not even that is perfect with its realistic response - not as realistic as the actual Roland Module

Well,, that is all subjective, and unfortunately changes every time new software comes out, or is updated, for instance. While it may be true that the modules are designed for the matching hardware, and may do some functions better, that one function (hi-hat emulation) is really a tough one. And so far, the way the earlier Roland gear has sounded to me, even their own hi-hat solution was lacking - to my ears anyway. -I haven't tried a real decent current TD system though.

All of the digital recreations still have a hard time recreating a true acoustic hi-hat. -Think about it (I know, it takes away the magic of just enjoying music, but if only for a moment) - there are so many ways a hi-hat can change the sound of hitting two cymbals. -Normally, a sampler can take into consideration velocity (volume and/or layer triggering, etc.), note and positional (per kit piece) hit information, from single pad hardware, but think of all the variations there are in the sound of an acoustic hi-hat being played dynamically! It literally takes digital recreations tons of sample layers & control sensing just to come close, and then deciding how the pedal you supply can trigger those... I have to hand it to drum software designers & programmers. It's tough. -Probably even AI will take a while to get better at that one.

Anyway, you will get into all that as you go along. It still wish I could track my stuff with a real hi-hat. I know many drummers still mix & match real & electronic pieces for that reason.  -Sometimes though, we just don' t have that choice though, do we!  Money, resources, location... always some challenge for musicians, that no one even hears when they just enjoy a performance... - but such is life!

48 minutes ago, Joel Pixton said:

When John says that he routes the hi-hat pedal MIDI track output back to the kit and then connects the audio output to the Scarlett and records that for better sync from his Hi-Hat pedal -- this made me wonder if it was a common 'timing' issue, though, it sounds like not even Addictive Drums 2 drum engine (I think that's what he is using) - not even that is perfect with its realistic response - not as realistic as the actual Roland Module.

Make note that I just tested this and now that I have activated the DTX drum map into Addictive drums bingo, now the hi hat works exactly like the one in the brain.  I just discovered the map while making a tutorial and I haven't had my drums out of the closet for about 4 years ( we moved) so I'm just like you in a way.  Also take note that my DTX 500 kit is very crude compared to yours.  The pads are only 1 zone etc. I dream of someday having the cash for the top of the line Roland kit. I've played one in a Music store and there's a HUGE difference. Mine is only a toy and limited in use for recording. I'm planning to integrate a real snare, hi hat and a few cymbal's into the kit and mike those up. So mostly the Kick and toms will be used. The extra pads will be assigned to cowbells.   

I bought the kit hoping it would add realism to my drum tracks, but it was a bit disappointing and all it added was better snare and tom fills. The hi hat is probably the biggest disapointment as I'm probably the only sound engineer I know of who always puts a mike on the hi hat and cranks it up. It is often overlooked as being important. And Midi hi hat is boring no matter what I do with it. But that changes with your kits I do believe.   

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JnTuneTech said:

I know many drummers still mix & match real & electronic pieces for that reason.  -Sometimes though, we just don' t have that choice though, do we!  Money, resources, location... always some challenge for musicians, that no one even hears when they just enjoy a performance... - but such is life!

I remember in 2005 realizing that if I wanted to practice drums -- I was going to have to buy an electric set or forget about it. My parents allowed me to practice my acoustic drum set when I was in my teens, but, when I hit my twenties -- I knew the noise was pushing their patience. The electric set allowed me to practice late into the night on head phones.

I've taken my V-Drums with me everywhere I've lived. I at one point ended up taking a job as a 'cabins caretaker' at a yoga retreat. I had my own small cabin and was responsible for answering questions from the guests in the other cabins. I'd practice my set late into the night. One night a lady knocked on my door and politely told me the hitting noise on the pads was keeping her up. She told me I sounded really talented but she had to sleep. So, even an electric set can be too loud to practice at times for the people around you. 

I even recently had a neighbor ask me if I was making popcorn in the garage. Apparently the drum pads grab the attention of neighbors simply walking by. 

And, after all these years, I still don't have a living location where I can hit an acoustic drum set without worrying about irritating roommates, neighbors, etc. Not to mention the finances to purchase a mic, hi-hat, mixer, etc. 

So after all these years -- my V-Drums are the reason I'm able to play drums at all. I think I've essentially surrendered to the idea that an electric hi-hat is as good as it's going to get right now. Though, I whole heartedly agree with you about the awesome dynamics in a real acoustic hi-hat. There is nothing like it and it offers so many more nuances and creative opportunities. I think ideally I would have the exact set up that you and John are describing -- a real hi-hat, snare, few crashes, and use the electric set for all the simpler samples.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Vere said:

I dream of someday having the cash for the top of the line Roland kit.

Honestly John, it would probably make you sick to hear how cheap I purchased both sets. The first set (TD-8) I purchased complete $600 from a wealthier individual on Craigslist who really just wanted them out of his garage. This was in 2005 when they were still relatively new and worth much more.

The second set TD-6, I purchased for $500 from a journeyman Plumber who was moving out of his house, giving up on drums, and needed them gone quick. Not only that, but, his pads were all upgraded 10" and 12" pads. 

The only upgrade I made on my own was the Hi-Hat controller and Hi-Hat stand, coincidentally. I wanted the 'feel' of a real hi-hat, even though we've been ironically discussing how the hi-hat is the least realistic part of an electric set. 

I like to tell people to look out for Roland V-Drums for sale by individuals who are essentially liquidating them. I remember noticing that the V-Drums on craigslist where people were asking the actual value $1500-2500, would almost never move them. I imagine especially now considering how dated a lot of the sets are. Though, I haven't been on the hunt for a Roland set in long while. And, I'd probably now be looking for a module with the 2.0 MIDI that you mentioned earlier. 

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

Make note that I just tested this and now that I have activated the DTX drum map into Addictive drums bingo, now the hi hat works exactly like the one in the brain.  I just discovered the map while making a tutorial and I haven't had my drums out of the closet for about 4 years ( we moved) so I'm just like you in a way. 

Btw, this is awesome to hear. This really will probably push me to purchase Addictive Drums 2 sooner than later. I see both of my modules in that Drum Map screen shot you posted earlier.

We were all lucky as Addictive drums came free with old Sonar versions. I think I got some kit pieces for free via Focusrite deal. I can't remember but I have a couple of full kits and some extra snares and percussion.  But you can install the demo version for free to try it out. It is only one kit and no toms so it's almost less than SI drums. But then you will be all set up with an account and have the XLN installer. There's also a very good demo for their piano. 

Steven Slate also has a lot in their demo kit, much more than SI for sure .In the Maps is one Roland kit but my guess is someone has a map for yours out there. It also involves a log in to an installer but it's defiantly worth trying the demos for both of these. 

2139604949_Screenshot(519).png.e4e6df55c1ee8cc02f248fa4ec9d6374.png1402590096_Screenshot(518).png.20552df913f0470554025b90de04ba59.png