Drive Dock vs Drive Bay?

Keni

I’m still struggling to finish this win10 on Mac Pro Trashcan. I’ve found two satisfactory external drive devices to suit me but wondering if other than the obvious easy exchange of drives. Is there a speed difference between two such devices claiming the same ports?

I got a bay which was not my first choice but it turned out defective anyway and I've discovered they have a drive dock which I tend to lean towards that they will exchange for me. They both claim TB2/USB3,1 connectivity (20GB/s / 5GB/s)...

Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated as I must decide and return ship the bay within days... They also have a replacement power supply for the bay if I decide to keep it...

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, birera said:

While both devices claim to have Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.1 connectivity, there may be a difference in speed depending on the specific model and its internal hardware. It would be best to compare the read and write speeds of both devices to determine which one is faster. Additionally, the quality of the cable being used can also affect the speed. If the manufacturer provides different cables with each device, it would be wise to compare them as well. Ultimately, it's important to choose a device that meets your needs and budget while also providing the best possible speed and reliability.

Thanks birera...

I finally got it as well set as this trashcan will allow. The TB2 seems a touch faster without empirical testing and I have settled on a setup that appears working better and well. I know it’s slower than the internal drive but I’m not noticing any drag so it should be fine. Pitiful apple minds that decided their flagship machine should be so restricted in such a fundamental fashion.

I’m quite poor at this time of my life so I have to make do with what I can and these mac pro DAWs I’ve been working with are far more power than any average windows machines

I now have the TB2 port for streaming audio and the USB3 port for sample libraries. Each port has a spare slot that supports 2.5/3.5 drives so I’ve git room to grow too...

Thanks again for your input...