Trouble playing over an imported track

mark bostic

I have recorded a base guitar rhythm track and saved it to my desktop. I want to import it into Cakewalk and play another rhythm and a solo over it. I can get the base track into Cakewalk but when I try to record the other tracks over it while it's playing the playing I am doing live is either not recording or there is so much noise it's a mess. The base track and the tracks I want to lay over it all have a distorted amp plug in on them. I have literally watched over 40 videos to try and track down what I am doing wrong but have had no luck. Please advise if you have anything that might work, thank you so much.

I am plugging my guitar into a Presonus 24c interface. I am using the same ML Lab ICON amp plug in on all the tracks. 44100 sample rate set at 512 with an ASIO driver that comes with the Presonus. Here is a screen of the base track loaded and the 2nd track I am trying to add. I'm wondering if the icon amp is engaging on both tracks at the same time and that's where the noise is coming from. I tried sound on sound. I'm sorry for the pictures, I run a double display and haven't figured out how to get the second display out of a screenshot. I hope I'm being clear, sorry if I'm not. Thank you.

Base track.png

2 Both tracks loaded.png

It is not obvious from your screen captures but here are some trouble shooting tips. 

- Arm the second track for recording. Don't play anything connected to that track and then hit play in Cakewalk. Does the imported track sound the same or distorted?

- If it sounds fine then with the 2nd track armed for recording and input echo enabled play something on the guitar connected to the 2nd track. Does it sound as you want it too?

- Now hit record and record something with the backing track playing. How did that go?

If any of these steps produce un desired results then back up and see if you can pinpoint where the problem happens.

One last thing, Check your busses and audio outputs to make sure you don't have some plugin on one of them or that you are not clipping.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013219/Advanced-Bus-Routing

• Like 1