What Is This??!?

sjoens

While letting a looped MIDI project play repeatedly, all of a sudden CbB stops because of this:

1253971471_20230227error.jpg.9b8d96b60bed0e57d76145876af7a094.jpg

Since all the tracks are MIDI, it still plays even though the Audio Engine is OFF.

The Mackie ASIO is the only sound device currently in Preferences and has been working fine till this moment.

Closing CbB and reopening it seems to fix it (so far), and everything in Preferences looks normal so... What Happened?

I've had this happen when windows (chrome, or some mediaplayer) will not release the driver after use, or is still using it.
My solution has been to assign the realtek driver to windows (under sound icon/setting in the taskbar)
And then (re) start Cakewalk.
This is the reason I still haven't disabled the onboard Realtek soundcard.

Edited by Anders Madsen

What really works for me is a year ago I started working exclusively at 48 .  Seems the internet is mostly 48. I even converted older projects to 48 as I re visit them. 

But possibly part of your issue is the Mackie driver. Not all ASIO drivers are created equal. Example for  years I used 44.1 with my Tascam and Focusrite interfaces and never had the conflict issue. The minute I got the Motu I couldn’t open a web page and even go back and play Cakewalk. 
Because I’m working with multiple apps open including movies and editing software  I decided to try 48 globally. It works but with only one pitfall.  I can’t record new audio in Cakewalk after any movies or ?? Have been used. The Audio is fluttering. I have to completely re start the computer. 
I’ve gotten used to this and it’s not a huge deal I just try and start my day with recording audio and move on. If I know the next thing on my list is recording I restart the computer. 
I understand lots of people just use on board audio for everything other than Cakewalk but ASIO is also the driver for many of the other apps I’m using with Cakewalk running. As long as they are all set to 48 it works other than that  one recording issue. 

Edited by John Vere

I kinda forgot about this as it hasn't happened since the OP, so thanks for responding.

This flag came out of nowhere for no reason I can find.

I do everything you guys mention and haven't changed anything except to add a new Mackie ASIO interface. 

When this happened I still had Behringer ASIO drivers installed which I suppose could have confused CbB somehow, even tho they weren't listed in Preferences. I've since removed them and so far no more issues.

If it was a legitimate flag, it should have happened when CbB was launched, not 1 hour into playing a project.

Edited by sjoens