APD Current Deals

cclarry

1 hour ago, smallstonefan said:

Anyone here recommend reMidi 2?

IMO, reMidi is a fun idea generator.  It's a bit like Scaler if each key were mapped to a random chord or sequence.  It's a little counterintuitive to me how to put MIDI slices I want onto the pads so I could play it like a drum pad.  That may be due to my natural RTFM resistance, but I can't help but think that a few design changes would make it simpler to use.  I would love to be able to drag and drop a slice onto a pad and end up with a 4x4 grid of slices.  But I can't seem to make that happen.

That being said, I do find it to be an effective and fun way to generate progressions I never would have thought of.  The plugin comes with a plethora of MIDI files of public domain music and of course you can use your own.  I use it in one of two ways:

1.) Set the size of the MIDI slice as low as possible and the tempo multiplier low which will generate chords for most key presses.  Start pressing keys to find a sequence to which I can fit a melody, then record the MIDI out.  Very quick inspiration every time.  

2.) Set the size of the MIDI slice low and the tempo multiplier high and put an arpeggiator in front of reMIDI -- I can get some very interesting MIDI sequences out of it.

So for quick inspiration, it was definitely worth the $20 bucks I paid for it. It has the same problem that all these chord generator plugins have, at least for my process.  I find that tools like this are very helpful to come up with a chord progression and melody.  But once I have a melody, and I want to take the melody someplace different (e.g., a chorus or a B-section) the tool becomes a hindrance.  I want to find chords to fit the melody, so random hunting and pecking keys either fails to return something I am interested in, or forces me to compromise the melody idea.  But that's not just ReMidi, I think it's a shortcoming of all these kinds of tools.  

Hope that's helpful.  I think the $20 price point is about right.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for putting in the time for a detailed response Steve - I very much appreciate it!

I struggle with the same issues as you. I haven't tried his techniques yet, but this guy has me really excited to try Scaler on melodies I write on guitar. I just need to dedicate some time to learning Scaler and so far there always seems to be something else I'm drawn to do instead...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1