REMOVE SILENCES / IDENTIFY SILENCES

Milton Sica

Question

I know there is a tool PROCESS -> APPLY EFFECTS -> REMOVE SILENCES.

My question is whether there is any tool or way to verify the existence of silences in a given Project/Track.

I ask because my music distribution site (OneRPM.com) checks the file to be distributed. If you verify that there are more than 5 seconds at the beginning or at the end of the WAV, it does not allow the upload.

On the other hand, I think it would be, as a suggestion for improvement, that after running the REMOVER SILENCES tool, the application would inform the statistics of silences effectively removed according to the parameterization made.

1 answer to this question

Audacity has a process which can determine how much of an audio file is "silence".  there are some scripts and c# code samples for assessing the same. sadly, my soundforge application statistics does not calculate this...

i typically trim front and back ends of the file to 100ms (1/10 second). but if i'm creating a CD (or equivalent) i set 2 seconds front, and 1/10 second back (approximating some of the redbook specs). as far as silence in the file itself - i try to limit it to 2 seconds or less. some streaming sites assume a stream is over after 3 or 5 seconds of silence, so another trick is to insert something above -48db (or what the streaming service calls "silence") to prevent "pure silence" (e.g. in music, fading reverb, delay trails, etc, in dialog, some background sounds - audience noises like feet moving or breaths, outdoors - birds, traffic, etc)

yes, a note after removing silence with the time removed would be nice.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1