Multiprocessing Engine & MMCSS

whoisp

Question

I have Multiprocessing Engine with Plug_in Load Balancing [ticked]

and also 

Use MMCSS enable for ASIO driver

My system does actually seem to run better with no drop outs. I am guessing i have this set right to  ensure cakewalk is  prioritized with access to CPU resources even though im using a 3.60 GHz AMD Ryzen 5 2500X Quad-Core Processor with 32GB RAM         

3 answers to this question

Don't be afraid to compare your performance with Multiprocessing Engine or plugin load balancing off. 

There are a lot of factors that can affect how effective these options are. 

In a busy project, sometimes the effort in context switching between threads can outweigh the benefit. 

Also, more and more plugins are becoming multi-processor aware (more so in synths, less so in effects).  Plugin load balancing plugins that are already load-balancing themselves will probably have a detrimental effect.

Cakewalk doesn't load balance soft-synths, so these are less of a problem. But it's worth comparing on/off to get the best for each project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Don't be afraid to compare your performance with Multiprocessing Engine or plugin load balancing off. 

In a busy project, sometimes the effort in context switching between threads can outweigh the benefit. 

Also, more and more plugins are becoming multi-processor aware (more so in synths, less so in effects).  Plugin load balancing plugins that are already load-balancing themselves will probably have a detrimental effect.

Cakewalk doesn't load balance soft-synths, so these are less of a problem. But it's worth comparing on/off to get the best for each project.

I spoken to soon haha, i just noticed it. Better with balance off and the MMCSS enable for ASIO driver off.  

I have quite a large project of tracks and buses with quite a few plugins and VSTi synths ( it don't like the VSTi) I also need to freeze some midi tracks but still writing the structure, was my own fault as it looks like a caused a bottle neck with a couple of problem plugins.  Iv'e notice it doesn't like a few plugins which are a bit load hungry.  i should also not use the old cakewalk VX 64 vocal strip, i keep meaning to buy the Scheps Omni Channel to make my own vocal strip but i do love the old strip lol.  

On 12/25/2022 at 6:02 PM, msmcleod said:

Ive got both Synth master 2 and Synth master player. Appears this is were the confusion was after i updated them. New UPDATE is VST3 from VST2 which also messed with my presets, annoying.  

I manage my FX and Instrument layouts and did not update my Instrument layout duh.  Yes I'm a idiot of the highest order...

I updated them both and the bug seems to have gone. I deleted all the Synth master tracks and reset the global config to make sure, put them back in as VST3 and we are flying 

The new Synth master is lush.... 

image.thumb.png.af34a2ccd0797006a3863e0fd9c06e10.png