How to copy midi notes from one track to another

Denis Grandmont

Question

Hello CW users!

Sorry for that newbie question:

I'm using only hardware synths, one per midi track using several midi tracks. They're all setup as midi OMNI.

I recorded a few notes on one track and tying to copy it to another track to play using another synth. Although it will always works on its original track, it doesn't work on any others. So basically I can't record material with synth 1 and have it played on synth 2 on another track. Whatever midi channel I select, I tried all of them.

So obviously something is routing that midi notes to that original synth whatever track it's on and I can't figure out what has to be changed.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Cheers!

Den

Edited by Denis Grandmont
grammar

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Denis Grandmont said:

I'm using only hardware synths, one per midi track using several midi tracks.

Each synth on a dedicated MIDI port or daisy chained and using different receive channels? And are they single-patch synths or multi-timbral?

If each synth is on its own physical MIDI port (either DIN or USB) and not multitimbral, channels shouldn't matter, but the "C" (channel) widget in the track can be used if necessary to force a different output channel than is embedded in the MIDI clip's events (probably channel 1).

The MIDI track Input should be assigned the specific port and channel your keyboard/controller is on rather than OMNI, regardless of how the output ports and channels are assigned.

The synths should have MIDI activity indicators to teel you if MISI is being received. If channel assignments are correct and MIDI is being received but you're not hearing the output, it may be an audio routing issue. If you're input monitroing the synths through audio tracks in CdB, you will need to have Input Echo enabled on those tracks.

If something in the aboove does not help resolve the issue, we'll need a thorough description of the MIDI and audio routing, including a screenshot of the Track View.

Edited by David Baay

My humble suggestion is to not use Omni , but rather specific MIDI channels instead. 

I use a 16 part multitimbral external synth where each part responds to MIDI channel 1 to 16 respectively.  I configure 16 tracks, one for each part.  What I do is set each MIDI track to its specific MIDI channels , not “none” as they are when you first create them. 

Then I can simply drag the MIDI clips to the destination tracks.  When I do this, the MIDI channels of the events remain the same.

When MIDI tracks are set to specific MIDI channels, those specific MIDI channels override any MIDI channels that the individual events are set to.

3 hours ago, David Baay said:

If something in the aboove does not help resolve the issue, we'll need a thorough description of the MIDI and audio routing, including a screenshot of the Track View.

Oh I think I found it!!!

>but the "C" (channel) widget in the track can be used

That worked. Thank you very much!

Hi, thanks for your feedback. I tried selecting CH 1 then record. Copied it to track 3, selected CH 1, it's not playing. It seems there's some sort of dependency between the midi clip and the originating track that cannot be removed. Do understand what I mean?

Just to be clear, the channel you choose along with the Input port determines whther the track records and echoes live MIDI input. The forced MIDI output Channel control determines what channel is embedded in the events sent to the instrument, whether live input from a keyboard or playback of a MIDI clip.

I understand what you're saying, but there is no such dependency between the clip and the track on which it was recorded. There are, however, many things in the clip content, instrument/patch programming and track setup that could make an instrument fail to generate sound from a MIDI clip (or be heard in the monitors) other than routing issues or channel mismatch; these include but are not limited to:

- The note numbers/pitches are outside the range of the instrument; typically happens with bass instruments having a non-standard octave assignment or brass/woodwinds with limited range.

- The notes are short and the instrument has such a slow attack that you don't hear anything before the note ends.

- The notes have extremely low velocity and a velocity offset (a.k.a. MIDI Gain) in the source track was compensating.

- Some controller in the track or the Zero Controllers on Stop option in Preferences is silencing the instrument; typically happens with instruments/patches that depend on non-zero Modulation (CC1) or Expression (CC11) controller values.

- The clip is muted.

- The MIDI track is muted or the volume control is zeroed.

- The track is Archived.

- Some other track is soloed.

- Input Echo is not enabled on the audio track that's receiving audio back from the hardware synth.

But I would still put my money on this being either a channel mismatch or audio routing/monitoring issue. If you set the silent track's input to your keyboard/controller's port and channel and enable Input Echo on the MIDI track, do you see activity in the MIDI meter when you play the keyboard and get a response from the synth's headphone output? Or, better, yet, plug the keyboard's DIN MIDI OUT into the synth's IN with no other hardware or software involved and see if you can get sound out of it.

Beyond that, you really need to tell us what keyboard, synths, project routing and hardware interfaces are involved.

Edited by David Baay