Track Change While Playing Cause Sound Explode

murat k.

While playing a MIDI or an Instrument track, changing tracks cause all MIDI tracks to play together at the same time which makes us hear an exploding sound .

We have to stop playing then change the track to get rid of this issue, which is not a convenient way when making sound audition.

Actually it always happens, but it's related to the changing tracks and notes frequency. 

I mean when you play the same note and change tracks, it doesn't happen, and it can be a workaround.

But when you play a melody and change the tracks at the same time, POM!

Assuming you use Always Echo Current MIDI Track, it's not a good idea to change tracks while performing because the synth on the track you're "leaving" can be left with stuck notes due to missed note offs or pedal-up controllers.  That said, I can repro that more than the currently active track can sound when switching Instrument tracks while performing. Probably also affects separate MIDI and synth tracks but I didn't check that or MIDI to hardware synths.  Also reproducible in the last release of SONAR Platinum.

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

Assuming you use Always Echo Current MIDI Track, it's not a good idea to change tracks while performing because the synth on the track you're "leaving" can be left with stuck notes due to missed note offs or pedal-up controllers.

Of course, I use "Always Echo Current MIDI", otherwise I can't make sound audition by only changing tracks. Stuck notes issues can be fixed easily by sending MIDI CC commands to the synths during the track change. 

This problem is happening because between the track change, there is a time you select no track, but at the same time you send a MIDI event. When there is no track focused, the software sends the MIDI Event to all of them. This is why we hear that sound when playing notes and changing tracks.

So when there is no track is focused, the rule to send the MIDI Event to all tracks, changed with to send the MIDI Event to none, it will fix this issue.

Edited by murat k.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/8/2022 at 12:40 AM, SirWillyDS12 said:

If you would stop playing the keyboard before you change tracks wouldn't this effectively stop generating the midi events which would in turn send no midi events to any track?

We shouldn't have to change our way of work because of a software error, but the software should run without an issue as possible it can.

Reminder.

Some people here think like "So we should work like that." No, you shouldn't. There is a better way.

This perspective never helps Cakewalk's development. 

If there is a better, more efficient or errorless way; this is the way, not the other one.

Just now, Byron Dickens said:

This is the equivalent of you claiming that your car is defective because the starter grinds if you turn the key while the engine is already running.

No it is not like that and I already found what causes this error and told the solution:

On 11/13/2022 at 9:54 PM, murat k. said:

This problem is happening because between the track change, there is a time you select no track, but at the same time you send a MIDI event. When there is no track focused, the software sends the MIDI Event to all of them. This is why we hear that sound when playing notes and changing tracks.

So when there is no track is focused, the rule to send the MIDI Event to all tracks, changed with to send the MIDI Event to none, it will fix this issue.

Another way to fix this error can be temporarily disabling MIDI send while track changing. It can work however it will not fix it from the core.