Impact LX88+ won't show up in MIDI Devices

Joseph Kutschera

Hello,

I just got my first MIDI keyboard, and I wanted to connect it to Cakewalk. I'm using the base version, no paid upgrades.

My keyboard is a Nektar Impact LX88+

I have followed all the instructions that came with the board for setup, but it won't show up in the MIDI devices panel. What am I doing wrong, and/or missing?

image_2022-10-27_164947482.png

That looks like some driver installation error. I have Impakt GX and it's showing up with it's own name without me having to do anything as the driver is class compliant, just plug in and wait a couple seconds until Windows finishes setting up the driver. You might need an assistance from someone else, more inclined into this kind of errors, here.

One more thing I'd try is plugging using a different USB cable into another USB port and see if it installs correctly.

Just in case you missed this, the LX series have custom software that enables quite good integration with Cakewalk. It has to be downloaded separately from Nektar after registering your keyboard with them. Looking at your screen shots where the keyboard was identified just as MIDI1 and MIDI2 leads me to believe you have not downloaded and installed this software. Cakewalk should see two inputs [Impact LX88+ and MIDIN2 (Impact LX88+)] and one output [Impact LX88+] for your LX keyboard. If you use other DAWs as well, they have separate software for each DAW, you can download and install as many as you want.

2 hours ago, ptheisen said:

Looking at your screen shots where the keyboard was identified just as MIDI1 and MIDI2 leads me to believe you have not downloaded and installed this software.

To the best of my knowledge, the DAW compatibility kit and the class compliant USB-MIDI driver are two separate things. Driver is needed for any host to see and use the keyboard. DAW compatibility kit turns the keyboard into a compatible control surface. Of the two, driver is necessary for the keyboard to work, DAW compatibility kit is optional.

You are right, they are two separate things and the DAW compatibility kits are optional. But for the people who hope to be able to use their keyboard as a control surface for their DAW without having to do a lot of  work, that is what the DAW compatibility kits do. You just install them, get the midi and control surface inputs/outputs configured and everything magically works. Without them, very little, if any, of the control surface functionality works out of the box, it is just a midi keyboard.

4 hours ago, ptheisen said:

You are right, they are two separate things and the DAW compatibility kits are optional. But for the people who hope to be able to use their keyboard as a control surface for their DAW without having to do a lot of  work, that is what the DAW compatibility kits do. You just install them, get the midi and control surface inputs/outputs configured and everything magically works. Without them, very little, if any, of the control surface functionality works out of the box, it is just a midi keyboard.

Agreed 👍