Cakewalk keyboard controller

whoisp

Just a quick question to what people use as i am thinking of a new keyboard controller 49-61 keys. This is my list what iv'e narrow it down too but i could have missed one out. . Here's my first place which i believe i prefer. Anyone use these with cakewalk? 

1: Novation Impulse 61-49 key version sounds the best all rounder.

2: Nektar Panorama P6 (seems expensive) 

3: Arturia KEYLAB 61

Iv'e also looking at M_Audio and Akai but few people say they break easy but not sure

Any experiences and opinions welcome for easier work flow and obviously  we are the main instrument so maybe something that gets our juices going.....

4 hours ago, whoisp said:

3: Arturia KEYLAB 61

I can vouch for this one if you are referring to the KeyLab 61 MkII.

I have that model and it works well with the new Mackie Control Universal (Cubase mode) control surface in Cakewalk by BandLab.

Just select the Cubase DAW map in the KeyLab 61 MkII, and setup the control surface in CbB. The MkII ships with button overlays and DAW modes for 6 different major DAWs. The MkII Cubase mode works fine with CbB set to Mackie Universal (Cubase mode).

You will need to setup the MIDIIN2 and MIDIOUT2 ports in the control surface definition in Cakewalk. Make sure that those ports are enabled in Cakewalk preferences first so that they are available to the control surface.

The new control surface will appear under the Cakewalk "Utilities" menu, where you can configure the details. My details are shown below:

Cakewalk Mackie mode control surface.PNG

KeyLab Mk II - Mackie Cubase Mode.PNG

Edit: found some notes from when I first tested this feature back in June:

I had the opportunity to briefly test the new control surface settings with my Arturia KeyLab 61 Mk II today.

It was mostly a success using the Cubase mode in the keyboard with the Mackie MCU Cubase mode in Cakewalk Mackie Control.

These features were all plug and play, using the Mackie Control "Bus" option on the Master Fader, and "Select highlights track" option:

• jog wheel
  • transport controls, including the loop button
  • track and master faders
  • track pan knobs
  • track select buttons
  • the solo, mute, & record buttons under track controls
  • Read automation button (but write does nothing)
Edited by abacab

In such devices most important are keys, followed by purpose and corresponding usability of controlling part.

Keys are up to you (you should like them, so better try before buy, I personally prefer Akai but they are special, so can be "no go" for other).

For controlling part: if the purpose is controlling plug-ins throw MIDI, all will do the trick and it just depends which controls you need (pads, sliders, etc.).

For controlling Cakewalk: Panorama has no reasonable integration, so probably most frustrating choice for Cakewalk. Other also have no native integration, but as other write Arturia function more or less as Mackie (note these posts are about relatively expensive MK2, not Essential). Impulse kind of support HUI, which it turn kind of supported by Mackie plug-in. But don't expect more then transport and basic strip control. Also since faders are not motorized, steering projects with more then 8 tracks can be annoying.

If direct controlling MIDI synths, Arturia software, faders and pads do not have priority for you,  especially if you plan to use NI (or other NKS compatible) synths, have a look at NI keyboards. There are semi-weighted S, which are really expensive, and "budget" A.  Later can be used with my own deep integration, S is probably better to use in Mackie mode.

Edited by azslow3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, azslow3 said:

but as other write Arturia function more or less as Mackie (note these posts are about relatively expensive MK2, not Essential)

One thing to consider about the Arturia KeyLab Essential, it does not support aftertouch. So it has a completely different keybed from the MkII, which is similar to the keybed used on the Arturia hardware synths.

The MkII 49 and 61 keys have high a quality synth-action keybed with velocity and aftertouch that does cost more, but it's worth it IMO. The MkII is also a solid build, it feels heavy like an old-school synth workstation with a metal chassis. Adds 9 non-motorized faders that NI doesn't have.

If you use MIDI synths beyond the Arturia ecosystem, it is simple to use MIDI learn or automation parameters to control them. 9 assignable encoders + 9 faders give you plenty of options.

Of course it has built-in integration with Analog Lab, but the goodness doesn't stop there! It also has DAW mode presets for 6 different leading DAWs, so that you can easily dial in the control surface template desired for Cubase (+Cakewalk in Cubase mode), Studio One, Reaper, Live, Pro Tools, and Logic. Also 10 user mode presets that you can customize. Plus 5 expression control inputs and 4 CV outputs. It's a real controller! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, abacab said:

One thing to consider about the Arturia KeyLab Essential, it does not support aftertouch. So it has a completely different keybed from the MkII, which is similar to the keybed used on the Arturia hardware synths.

The MkII 49 and 61 keys have high a quality synth-action keybed with velocity and aftertouch that does cost more, but it's worth it IMO. The MkII is also a solid build, it feels heavy like an old-school synth workstation with a metal chassis. Adds 9 non-motorized faders that NI doesn't have.

If you use MIDI synths beyond the Arturia ecosystem, it is simple to use MIDI learn or automation parameters to control them. 9 assignable encoders + 9 faders give you plenty of options.

Of course it has built-in integration with Analog Lab, but the goodness doesn't stop there! It also has DAW mode presets for 6 different leading DAWs, so that you can easily dial in the control surface template desired for Cubase (+Cakewalk in Cubase mode), Studio One, Reaper, Live, Pro Tools, and Logic. Also 10 user mode presets that you can customize. Plus 5 expression control inputs and 4 CV outputs. It's a real controller! :)

Food for thought for sure, so provably between the Arturia MkII and Novation Impulse which is £150 difference in price but sounds like the extra is worth it. I want it more as a go to as i do my automation with programming but be good to jam with it on a controller. 

16 hours ago, azslow3 said:

In such devices most important are keys, followed by purpose and corresponding usability of controlling part.

Keys are up to you (you should like them, so better try before buy, I personally prefer Akai but they are special, so can be "no go" for other).

For controlling part: if the purpose is controlling plug-ins throw MIDI, all will do the trick and it just depends which controls you need (pads, sliders, etc.).

For controlling Cakewalk: Panorama has no reasonable integration, so probably most frustrating choice for Cakewalk. Other also have no native integration, but as other write Arturia function more or less as Mackie (note these posts are about relatively expensive MK2, not Essential). Impulse kind of support HUI, which it turn kind of supported by Mackie plug-in. But don't expect more then transport and basic strip control. Also since faders are not motorized, steering projects with more then 8 tracks can be annoying.

If direct controlling MIDI synths, Arturia software, faders and pads do not have priority for you,  especially if you plan to use NI (or other NKS compatible) synths, have a look at NI keyboards. There are semi-weighted S, which are really expensive, and "budget" A.  Later can be used with my own deep integration, S is probably better to use in Mackie mode.

AKAI Professional MPK Mini looks like a little jem to be fair now you mention AKAI. 

i will still use they full set of weight keys on my Yamaha  electric piano i already have mapped with peddle, its perfect for playing, full-size and full action next to my desk which i just wheel over to on my chair or pick my guitar up.

I just need something compatible with cakewalk, minimum pads to add fx sounds or percussion/drum hits on few pads when jamming so I'm not programming midi all the time.  Thereby,   something with pitch, mod and filter wheel knobs or buttons with a few assignable.  The rest i will do in daw as i am not really a EDM producer but i play keys, Guitar and bass with some singing but ive been expanding with electronic integration and upbeat dance vibe.

So sometimes with adding automation i would like to do some by assigning to controller wheel or knobs etc to test and jam a ideas in real time. If i want something phasing or a filter wave mod etc  so im not going into  the automation programming with nodes when i can probably just turn a knob in real time with automation write getting it spot on with timing or close then i can tweak them in daw later if you understand what im saying haha 

I was messing doing a gradual pitch with automation the other day and wasted ages which takes 1 second if i had a pitch wheel lol 

25 minutes ago, whoisp said:

AKAI Professional MPK Mini looks like a little jem to be fair now you mention AKAI. 

I bought an MPK Mini and returned it in a few days.

The keyboard was a useless mess of mini keys with heavy springs. But if you just want some assignable control knobs and pads it might work. But beware the joystick for pitch and mod. Those always return to zero (spring loaded), so you can't position the mod and leave it set. I have a Roland with one of those things and it drives me nuts. I prefer a wheel.

Any MIDI controller should work generically with Cakewalk (or your plugins) for manually assigning knobs and pads as needed (via MIDI CC). If you are seeking full integration of the DAW control surface, that's where things can get tricky. Control surface mappings are for things such as play/record/rewind, track controls record/mute/solo, or track selection/panning/volume.

You can use "remote control" in Cakewalk automation lanes to MIDI learn a CC assignment from your controller. DAW integration not required. https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Mixing.44.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

The keyboard was a useless mess of mini keys with heavy springs. But if you just want some assignable control knobs and pads it might work. But beware the joystick for pitch and mod. Those always return to zero (spring loaded), so you can't position the mod and leave it set. I have a Roland with one of those things and it drives me nuts. I prefer a wheel.

Any MIDI controller should work generically with Cakewalk (or your plugins) for manually assigning knobs and pads as needed (via MIDI CC). If you are seeking full integration of the DAW control surface, that's where things can get tricky. Control surface mappings are for things such as play/record/rewind, track controls record/mute/solo, or track selection/panning/volume.

You can use "remote control" in Cakewalk automation lanes to MIDI learn a CC assignment from your controller. DAW integration not required. https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Mixing.44.html

Yes i was thinking more of a keyboard with some basic preset mapping.   You make the Arturia KEYLAB MK11 or the Essential seem the best option even though ive heard the Novation Impulse is pretty much the same with mapping 

5 hours ago, abacab said:

As I wrote, keys are subjective. I like MPK Mini's keys and they technically have reasonably controllable velocity curve. An opposite example,  getting predictable velocity from NI M32 seems like technically impossible. But mentioning Akai I was writing about bigger controllers with full size (in width, they are shorter then usual... grr. that is for Roland keys, which I also like) keys.

For the topic, Novation and Arturia will do what you want. If something you consider will have trouble with DAW controlling, we can solve that online in an hour (20-30 min mapping controls, 10-15 min copy/pasting  buttons LED feedback, the rest for "hello" and "goodby" 😉).

Edited by azslow3
  • Like 2