Recording multiple takes within a track

Paul Tudor

Hi,

I am fairly new to Bandlab after upgrading my recoding setup from an old windows XP and Guitar tracks Pro set up (a programme over 20 years old but super simple to use). 

I'm slowly figuring Bandlab out but one thing I cannot fathom is how to record multiple stacked takes in a single track.  When recording a song I basically record a few riffs at a time, stop and take the slider back a few measures and then build up the song that way.  I usually do this for 'tracks' building the guitar parts up a few riffs at a time.  However, with bandlab what I'm finding is that I record a few riffs, then when I move the start point back a few measures to begin recording the next set off riffs it wipes the audio beneath (ie the last few measures of the previous riff).

I've tried looking in the settings, googling and watching tutorials but cannot find a way to get bandlab to merge all the takes within one selected track.  I don't want to have to keeep recording across multiple tracks and then bounce down as it limits work flow and would be a pain in the *****.

Any idea on what settings I need to change?

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum. Open Preferences. Hit P on the keyboard.
This is a Per Project setting so you must have a song open.
Cursor down to Project>Record
Record.jpg.5d840399a894941423f40168e83b1548.jpg

You want to use Sound on Sound (probably).

Experiment with the various settings until you get it working like Guitar Tracks. (assuming that's what you are trying to do)

HTH,

t

lots of Toms on the forum, the old man used to call me "little t"

There’s always  multiple ways to do the same things in Cakewalk. 

If you RIGHT CLICK the mouse on the record button in the transport it will  open the recording setting.
You might want to try Comping mode. Page 352- https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/Cakewalk Reference Guide.pdf 

The other thing you sound like you might use is take lanes. Look that up too. 

I explain using take lanes in a few of my videos.  try Tutorial #18. If your new to Cakewalk watching the whole series from the start will really speed up the learning curve for you. 

Edited by Cactus Music
  • Great Idea 1