Connecting a MIDI Keyboard

Notableee

Question

I will probably sound stupid but I am having a lot of trouble connecting my MIDI keyboard to cake walk. My dad has been a musician longer than I have been alive but we can't seem to figure out what's going on.  I have a m audio keystation 88es keyboard running into a lexicon omega. The lexicon is running into my computer. I installed the lexicon windows 10 drivers and cakewalk is detecting it but when I go to play on the keyboard nothing happens. I've watched a ton of videos on it and I'm not sure what's happening. I'll leave some sc down below. Any help is appreciated, thanks. 

midi problem 1.PNG

MIDI problem 2.PNG

3 answers to this question

If nothing is connected to the Lexicon's MIDI OUT, there is no need to enable it in CW. Two things to check for MIDI IN functionality:

- Does the left-side indicator in the MIDI Monitor that CW places in the system tray show activity when you play the keyboard? If not, doublecheck that MIDI OUT from the keyboard is connected to MIDI IN on the Lexicon. If you don't have a 5-pin MIDI DIN cable connecting the Keystation to the Lexicon, you will need to connect the Keystation's USB MIDI port to the computer and enable that in CW.

- If the above checks out, are you able to record MIDI to a new MIDI Track with Input set to Omni and the track armed to record?

If both of the above check out but you're not hearing anything, you just need to have a soft synth properly inserted - either as a Simple Instrument track or with separate MIDI and Synth Audio tracks,- and have Input Echo  enabled - button looks like ))) - on the MIDI/Instrument track in order for the MIDI input to reach the synth. This will happen automatically if the track has focus (track name highlighted), and "Always Echo Current MIDI Track" is enabled in Preferences as it is by default.