Cakewalk Audio Engine Disengaging on Older Projects

JoeFilms

Hey all,

So I was working on remastering a game soundtrack for practice and I got around 11 songs done. I was using EastWest Composer Cloud synths (which I own legally and have paid for), sforzando (a free soundfont player), and Zenology (a free synth). I've used EastWest and Sforzando many times without issue, but I don't recall ever using Zenology before this project. On the day of making the project, everything works fine and sounds great. However, after a day or so after completing the project, I re-opened it and my audio engine was disengaged. No matter what I do, I cannot engage the audio engine. I have never had this issue with any other projects, and I think Zenology is the root of the issue. However no solutions I Have tried have worked. Removing Zenology from the project does not help, I tried reinstalling Cakewalk and that did not help. I am at a loss here. Any ideas of how I can get my projects back? I would hate to have to start the songs over from the beginning.

(Also if you have any idea how I could make Zenology consistently work, that would be awesome too seeing as it has a lot of cool sounds haha)

Thanks so much for reading!

To test did you try other projects?  Do they work? If it’s only the one project the you are on the right track as 99% of the time it’s a plug in causing the issue.

Other common causes of audio issues and things you can try: 

Are you using an audio interface and ASIO?  
Everything up to date? 
Increase buffer size

Try bypassing all effects

Run the Audio configuration by changing driver modes. 

Check your clock rate matches in Windows settings. 

Take a look at your project file (.cwp) with this free standalone (not a plugin) utility "Project Scope".  https://www.adamczyk.com/miscellaneous-files

This was created by a Cakewalk forum member in 2017, and as far as I can tell it still works in Windows 10, and with the latest Cakewalk by BandLab. I have not tested it extensively in recent years, so YMMV.

But at the very least, you should be able to get a view of the tracks, plugins, and wave files in the project file, without even having to open the project in Cakewalk. May help isolate things, or if not, you will possibly have a bit more insight into your project.

Project Scope - example.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, abacab said:

Take a look at your project file (.cwp) with this free standalone (not a plugin) utility "Project Scope".  https://www.adamczyk.com/miscellaneous-files

This was created by a Cakewalk forum member in 2017, and as far as I can tell it still works in Windows 10, and with the latest Cakewalk by BandLab. I have not tested it extensively in recent years, so YMMV.

But at the very least, you should be able to get a view of the tracks, plugins, and wave files in the project file, without even having to open the project in Cakewalk. May help isolate things, or if not, you will possibly have a bit more insight into your project.

Project Scope - example.PNG

Thank you so much for your reply! I will try this out!