Waves L2 problem with old projects

Thomas Bones

Hello everyone,

I am using bandlab (used to known as Sonar) from 2008. All my old projects (10 years+) have a problem with waves L2. Although I have the plugin installed and working in my system, when opening old projects bandlab says it is missing. I can add a new instance of the plugin, but I cannot use the old one. I have a newer edition of L2 from what I had then. Any ideas?image.png.7feea9ec37d451484e8596c01334aa98.png

Sometimes updates change the Class ID of the plugin. It's supposed to migrate but manufacturers don't always get it right, unfortunately.  The easiest solution is to put in the new version of the plugin, I'd say, and thankfully L2 is fairly basic as far as what you usually adjust on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

Sometimes updates change the Class ID of the plugin. It's supposed to migrate but manufacturers don't always get it right, unfortunately.  The easiest solution is to put in the new version of the plugin, I'd say, and thankfully L2 is fairly basic as far as what you usually adjust on it.

I think you're right with the Class ID. The problem is that I used L2 in all of my projects as a mixing volume solution and it is in almost every track. Is there a way to change the Class ID of the plugin or (better yet) to redirect the saved bandlab plugin to the new class ID?

49 minutes ago, Thomas Bones said:

I think I know what the problem is. I used waves 5.0 in the old projects and they aren't compatible with windows 11 unfortunately

Maybe load any old projects up temporarily on a Win 10 machine. Then bounce the tracks down with FX including the old Waves plugin.

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

I'm thinking its past time to finish up those ten year old projects and move on....

Remember there is always the possibility that one had to shelve their musical projects for a while, and tend to life's other responsibilities. But technology does keep moving on regardless...

That's one reason why Craig Anderton (and others) say bouncing mixed tracks down is always a good practice. Better shelf life that way without dependence on specific plug-ins, or DAWs.

Edited by abacab
  • Great Idea 1

54 minutes ago, abacab said:

That's one reason why Craig Anderton (and others) say bouncing mixed tracks down is always a good practice. Better shelf life that way without dependence on specific plug-ins, or DAWs.

And in addition if you have the disk archive space, you could always export the stems without FX, in case you might get the itch to remix it 10 years down the road...