OctaSine free FM synth

satya

i was searching GitHub and found this free synth 

what do u think

https://github.com/greatest-ape/OctaSine

Four FM operators with parameters for volume, panning, modulation output, feedback, frequency modifiers (ratio, free and fine), envelope values (attack, decay, sustain, release) and toggling of white noise mode.

Flexible routing allows setting the operator modulation targets (with some limitations) as well as the amount of signal that is simply added to the final output, enabling additive synthesis.

Four LFOs with multiple waveforms, oneshot and loop modes and optional DAW BPM sync. They can target most operator parameters and most parameters of lower-index LFOs.

Each operator is connected to an attack-decay-sustain-release volume envelope with logarithmic slopes.

Per-operator white noise mode makes it easy to create percussive sounds such as hi-hats and cymbals.

Runs on macOS (definitely 10.15.7, probably later versions too), Windows 10 and Linux (X11 only) in VST2-compatible DAWs on 64-bit computers. Synthesis is SIMD-accelerated in many cases (SSE2, AVX).

Master volume and master frequency parameters

128 voices (using them all simultaneously might consume quite a bit of CPU time though)

Fully automatable

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the link to the installers and asking for opinions.  I gave it a quick try (approx. 20 min. total), and for my needs FM8 for $10 at a current/recent sale is a better value for my money ($10 / £12 / €12 through September 6). Rather than share details of my preliminary exploration of octasine, I will plan to verify my observations in some additional hosts. 

One of my first testing places for new plug-ins is Voltage Modular (using the Plug-In Host module) which sometimes has issues when plug-ins have idiosyncratic UIs.  I have plenty of plug-ins (paid and free) that don't have major issues UI in VM.  So, just briefly, in my admittedly limited tests I observed (1) higher than usual CPUs needed for the graphics and (2) GUI instability leading to a VM shutdown crash.  I suspect (1) might be an issue in other hosts but (2) should probably not be an issue in other hosts.

Since its v.0.7.0, perhaps the GUI instability will not be an issue once it gets to a v.1.x.x release.  

Disclosure: I will have to check my PCs services, but this: "Synthesis is SIMD-accelerated in many cases (SSE2, AVX)" might be part of the two issues I experienced since my PC is a "legacy" PC.   

Update: A basic test of Octasine in Cakewalk on my PC confirms (1) Octasine causes a higher than usual CPU usage as compared with several other plugins (free and paid)** and (2) the GUI instability doesn't happen. 

**For this test Octasine was compared with FM8, Odin2, bloo, Surge XT, Proclethya, Cardinal Synth, Syntronik, plus a few others. MSoundFactory CPU draw ranges greatly depending in specific instruments/device, so I tested 5 MSoundFactory Instruments with "FM" in the name. One had the less CPU draw than Octasine, 4 were either comparable or had higher CPU draw. However, closing the MSoundFactory's plugin window reduced CPU draw far more than closing Octasine's plugin window.

On different PCs, with different tests, results may vary. Also, the CPU draw might not be an issue for some users. Hope this helps.

Edited by User 905133
to add the results of additional basic tests