Can I save midi as audio

Glenn Kithcart

Question

6 answers to this question

MIDI is digital data which you can use to send note data, sound parameter control data, etc. to devices such as hardware synths and software synths.  To record the audio from hardware synths (including drum synths) you need to take the audio output of the synth and route it as audio into your PC.  For example, (1) PC sends midi data to synth, (2) synth sends audio into PC.

If you want to use a soft synth to play the MIDI data you captured from a hardware drum kit, you can do that, too.  There are various ways to insert a soft synth into cakewalk.

If you already recorded the MIDI data on a MIDI track, one option is to insert a soft synth / instrument and point the output of the MIDI track to the soft synth using the Output "Widget" / Track Control.  

There are other options depending on your workflow.  For example, you can first insert an Instrument Track and record the MIDI to that. But the basic idea is that you need to have either a hardware or software synth seeing the MIDI data.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo (duplicate word) + a few other typos

I was just looking at the TD-27 Quick Start Manual/Guide.  It looks like you can use the TD-27's usb port to get audio into the PC:

You can use DAW software (commercially available) to record a TD-27 performance as audio or MIDI, or you can use the TD-27 to hear sound that’s played back from the computer.

I am guessing that you would would get better audio from that than using the analog audio jacks.  I just started looking at the manual, though.  I have not looked at the TD-27's Reference Guide, but that and the Quick Start Guide should be required reading for you.

Looks like a nice setup!  Enjoy !!

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos

Thanks, I see that now too. I recorded the midi into cakewalk so I guess I will record the midi track back through the TD-27 and loop into a new audio track in the Cakewalk project. Another thing is that when I send the drum midi track to the other musicians, it doesn't quite line up... but they are using Logic. In the screenshot the midi track isn't aligned with the audio track I was playing to but when I play it back it does line up. I'm fumbling my way through all this stuff.

Screenshot (1).png

Glad to hear you are having some progress with recording the MIDI and the audio.  As to the new question of how to use Cakewalk so it is in sync (and can be used by others), I have seen it discussed, but I will defer to others for advice on that.  I know there is a time offset parameter in the Inspector but I am not sure that is the best solution for your needs.

Edited by User 905133
fixed a typo

Either Cakewalk or your drum machine needs to be the clock source. Example if you don’t sync them then your drum machine will play at a different tempo than Cakewalk. Even if you set them both to same tempo it can drift. 

I can sync my Roland 505 by setting it into midi sync mode. I then go into Cakewalk preferences/ Project/Midi/ and set it to transmit Midi start/stop. Every device is different so read your manual. It might use MMC like my Yamaha MD 8 did.