VST 32-bits - Did not want this buried in my Tuning Topic

Sridhar Raghavan

All

I am starting this as a new topic, so it is not buried in another thread.   I have already read the few existing topics and conversations related to  this.

Here is a gist of what I learned/reflected from there:

a) Not clear whether VST 32-bits can be run in the latest editor Cakewalk.  Likely Answer is NO.

b) Whether there are some indirect methods for running them.  May be?

c) VST 32 Bits are ancient -- so why bother?   I disagree.

I will address this last question:

i) DSK India Dreams is the only free DSK I could find (which I used for several years in Ableton 32 bits for example) that supports Alternate Tuning via Scala. I have also run this under other DAWs whose names escapes me for now

ii) DSK India dreams has Sarod and Veena and few other nice instruments which are hard to come by. I checked on this on the net as well. Some of the links I found were dead ends or simply not inspiring my trust

iii) Talking about ancient, I wonder why recent generations have not caught up with Alternate Tunings that was available in DSK? Alternate Tunings are not "ancient" but represent the "future".  So what is "ancient" and what is "modern" is not a simple view point. True DSK India Dreams has not been updated to 64-bit,  I can understand that, given that there is just one man behind DSK, while Cakewalk and similar have, to use a proverbial expression, "an army" behind it. They ought to be leading the Music Technology front given the vantage of their huge following.

iv) In this regards, as I mentioned in my earlier post (on Tuning) Swar Plug and Native Instrument India Series have some claims to support Indian Scales -- but these claims cannot hold, as there some basic foundational/design flaws. I do not want to elaborate on those, as it will be discourteous and uncivil to discuss them here. They can claim many things on other dimensions,

d) Some of you have pointed me to list of VSTs. I have not looked at them in details. So are they?

64-bit VSTs
with microtonal support, what are their interpretations?
support Indian Instruments like Sarod, Sarangi, Veena?

Appreciate your thoughts and wisdom on any of the above points a,b,c,d. 
My intent is keep this focused on the pragmatics of using Cakewalk to play Indian Instruments with Indian Tuning/Scales. 
And keep out other discussions, that are away from this bulls-eye, as much as possible, 

Until I can get the Tuning capabilities worked out, I guess I may have to ignore most of the VSTs (instruments).

regards

Edited by Sridhar Raghavan

Yes, with a few exceptions 32-bit plugins work just fine in Cakewalk, and you don't have to do anything special. Just insert them like any other and CW will detect that they are 32 bits and automatically load the bridge. Most of the time it's completely transparent, so if you have a 32-bit plugin you like, chances are you'll have no problem with it.

Yes, 32-bit VSTs are "ancient" (sheesh, if a few years makes something ancient, what does that make ME?). However, that doesn't mean they're going to sound any different, because what goes on inside the plugin is still essentially the same.

• Like 1

David Baay and bitFlipper

Thanks for your tips.

I was able to run all my 32-bit plugins in Cakewalk without any issues, at least so far. 

DSK India Dreamz [Sitar, Sarod, Veena, Tor,  Tabla]  runs fine as well.

But I cannot recall now, how I was using that VST  with the Scale Tuning file!!  and on which DAW.  
So, I am stalled for now.

I may have to look at the other VSTs in the list.

regards