is there a tool that automatically detects and shows the tempo of the musical measure?

dogufo

Question

Hi, sorry, please I´m a beginner,

in the Cakewalk software, is there a tool that automatically detects and shows the tempo of the musical measure which is played with MIDI instruments?

For instance, playing a bass line, it shows the tempo of the measuer, ... for example 9/16...

Thanks, in advance.😊

5 answers to this question

5 hours ago, dogufo said:

in the Cakewalk software, is there a tool that automatically detects and shows the tempo of the musical measure which is played with MIDI instruments?

For instance, playing a bass line, it shows the tempo of the measuer, ... for example 9/16...

You are asking about tempo, yet you mention a time signature as an example.

Both those parameters are global for the project at a given time-stamp.  However you can change these parameters anywhere in a project.

I am assuming you can see the transport module.  This displays the tempo and the time signature at a given time.

See:  (figure 298:  item O and P)

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=ControlBar.06.html

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Promidi said:

You are asking about tempo, yet you mention a time signature as an example.

Both those parameters are global for the project at a given time-stamp.  However you can change these parameters anywhere in a project.

I am assuming you can see the transport module.  This displays the tempo and the time signature at a given time.

See:  (figure 298:  item O and P)

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=ControlBar.06.html

@Promidi ...thanks, yes, ... I got it. yes, indeed, ...I meant time signatures, ...not tempos.

But the doubt and question I had was ... given a recorded track, or piece of track, ...which is played freedomly, ... without metronome, ... does the cakewalk have a tool that shows me the sharp time signature in which I played that track?

For example, ... I record freely a bass line pattern, which I have in my head, ...which I don´t know the time measure of it ... is that maybe 9/16? ... does Cakewalk show me it in some way?

45 minutes ago, dogufo said:

@Promidi ...thanks, yes, ... I got it. yes, indeed, ...I meant time signatures, ...not tempos.

But the doubt and question I had was ... given a recorded track, or piece of track, ...which is played freedomly, ... without metronome, ... does the cakewalk have a tool that shows me the sharp time signature in which I played that track?

For example, ... I record freely a bass line pattern, which I have in my head, ...which I don´t know the time measure of it ... is that maybe 9/16? ... does Cakewalk show me it in some way?

Not really. 

What you might like to try is this.

After you have recorded your base MIDI notes, move the playback cursor to the start of your first note.

Then go Menu | Set measure/beat at Now and enter a measure number and beat number (Probably a number nearest to nearest measure)

Note: you need to enter beat 1 to be on the measure, not 0

Then select the next note where you want to next measure to start and move the playback cursor to that note.

Then go Menu | Set measure/beat at Now and enter the next measure number and beat number

The tempo will adjust to match and as you do this, your played piece will align to measures

One thing you may start to realise it that at the end of the day, time signatures is not really that important....  as long as some notes align to measures.  Also, that alignment does not even need to be exact.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Not really. 

What you might like to try is this.

After you have recorded your base MIDI notes, move the playback cursor to the start of your first note.

Then go Menu | Set measure/beat at Now and enter a measure number and beat number (Probably a number nearest to nearest measure)

Note: you need to enter beat 1 to be on the measure, not 0

Then select the next note where you want to next measure to start and move the playback cursor to that note.

Then go Menu | Set measure/beat at Now and enter the next measure number and beat number

The tempo will adjust to match and as you do this, your played piece will align to measures

One thing you may start to realise it that at the end of the day, time signatures is not really that important....  as long as some notes align to measures.  Also, that alignment does not even need to be exact.

many thanks, ... I am a beginner...

I tried your sharp advice, but thinking more about it, ...

...I think I found a faster way, which I think it works, ...right?

...I recorded the pattern, then looked in the stave view and counted the notes in one measure, so I discovered the  time signature is 12/8

I set then the measure/beat in the project menu, and I think it works. 

3 minutes ago, dogufo said:

I tried your sharp advice, but thinking more about it, ...

...I think I found a faster way, which I think it works, ...right?

...I recorded the pattern, then looked in the stave view and counted the notes in one measure, so I discovered the  time signature is 12/8

I set then the measure/beat in the project menu, and I think it works.

If that works, then run with it.

I do not use the staff view to edit notes. All of my MIDI note editing is in the Piano Roll View.

• Thanks 1