Audiosnap Quantize and Tempo Varies With Each Play

Terry Kelley

I've been playing with audio quantize and it appears to vary with each play. I pick a clip, set the Audio Snap to Clip Follows Project (for later tempo change), select Quantize, set it and hit OK. Overall the results are impressive.

But with repeated plays, the results seem to vary from play to play like it's moving in time by maybe 50/960 ticks overall. Or parts will be good and others go out of timing and which part goes out changes with each press of play. 

Anyone notice this? Do I have a setting wrong?

I also notice when I change the tempo say from 120 to 127, each press of play gives slightly different timing results. I all speeds up but it's like picks slightly new start rimes every time I hit play.

Both audio quantize and tempo change (clip follows project) vary with each play.  It's subtle but clearly noticeable.

I don't know if it's related to Online being Elastique Efficient and it recalcs on every play. Buffer size (haven't trying changing that.)

Just checking.

Edited by Terry Kelley

Shouldn't be happening. Bounce the Master bus to  a new track that outputs directly to Main Outs, invert the phase and see how it nulls with the live tracks. Depending on FX and the way stretching is rendered, nulling may be imperfect but it should sound the same every playback. The kind of audible timing variations you're talking about should produce some pretty severe flamming/echoing if it's really happening.

One thing to watch out for if to make sure the mode for Clip Follows Project is Autostretch before enabling it. If it's anything else, things will move around and likely get out of sync as soon as you enable it.  Also, If you're not editing clip maps to make sure the beat markers are locked into their respective transients, quantizing is unlikely to work well.

Right, it shouldn't be happening but the issue is that the results change just playing it over and over. It's like it's recalculating start times each time Play is started. I would expect the results to be unchanged. And I did verify Autostretch and played with it some.

I need to mess with it more. However, reading the other thread, I am not sure it does what I thought it does.

Thanks David!

The test I outlined was intended to confirm the playback is actually changing, and not a mistaken impression because I've never heard that myself or seen it reported by anyone else. If it checks out with the nulling test, it would be interesting figure out what's going on in your particular case.  No doubt Audionsnap can produce some bad outcomes (whether from misuse or defects),  including that "offline" rendering has timing anomalies that don't manifest in real-time "online" playback, but variable timing from one playback to the next is not typically one of them.

• Thanks 1