Making a left channel record become stereo

Brian Johnston

I won't go over the issues with the gear, but if something can be done in Cakewalk. I'm recording, but due to gear limitations, I'm only getting the left channel recorded (right remains silent), which means hearing the sound on one side (headphones/speakers). Is there a way of taking a recorded mono track and making it 'stereo?' I realize it's not true stereo, which is fine... I simply want it coming out both sides. Thanks.

Also, I can re-record the tracks if necessary, but if there's something that can be done with pre-recorded tracks, that info would be appreciated as well.

Edited by Brian Johnston

3 minutes ago, bdickens said:

What you need to do is record onto a mono track.

So there is no way of doubling up on the tracks already recorded... so that one is left and one is right?  Or turning a track into mono, so that it comes out on both sides?

My gear is going into a stereo interface (again, I have a limitation before the interface)... what do I do in Cakewalk in order to make a track mono?

39 minutes ago, Brian Johnston said:

So there is no way of doubling up on the tracks already recorded... so that one is left and one is right?  

There is a neat trick, but you need good mixing experience for this to work. 

39 minutes ago, Brian Johnston said:

what do I do in Cakewalk in order to make a track mono?

If you only hear the left side, it is already in MONO, what you're looking/asking for is to put it down the center. 

To do this: Locate the TRACK TAB and scroll down to BOUNCE TO TRACKS where another window will pop up. 

In this window: Click on the CHANNEL FORMAT and select SPLIT MONO and then click OK. Delete the empty track and PAN the other track to 0% by just double clicking on the Pan slider/knob (depending on which window view you prefer to work in.) 

OR . . . 

You can just right click on the CLIP itself and scroll down to CONVERT TO MONO. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo