Timeline Cursor Tool Tips Regions - Occlusion

Sridhar Raghavan

I am finding it quite difficult to clearly see the Loop Region End Handles for acting on them.

Too many Things and Icons popping up around cursor... I am sure they would and supposed to help, but they seem to be occluding things behind them.

I am sure there would be tricks/tips for managing them. 

So I can turn things on/off and make the Loop Region (yellow handles) or selection region (blue colored)  clearly visible for action.

Related to this, is there a Nudge Function for moving the Selection Line left/right with keyboard arrow keys?  I found that there is Process-> Nudge -> .... but it does not show any keyboard shortcuts.

I am quite pleased that I can set the Left or Right loop edge to NOW using the UI on the top Area.  That is coming handy given the problem I described above.

Thanks in advance 

Sri.

I'm not clear what exactly is popping up that interferes with grabbing loop markers...?

If Loop and Punch markers overlap, you can get one or the other depending on how high in the timeline you hover the mouse. Getting to an overlapped Selection marker is harder. One way is to hold Shift and click nearby so that it moves out from under the loop marker without affecting the other end of the Selection.

The Ref. Guide says;

Tip: If multiple markers overlap, you can click any of the overlapping markers and keep the mouse button down, then press TAB to
cycle through to the marker you want to move. For example, if a selection, loop, and punch marker are all at measure 5, pressing TAB
(while holding down the left mouse button) cycles through S (selection), L (Loop), and P (Punch).

However... I found this is not working since the default binding of Tab to Goto Next Transient/Note was removed in the last release, and now has to be deliberately bound if you want to use use it.  This manual binding overrides the tab-through-marker-types function.

The Bakers might need to revisit this.

3 hours ago, Sridhar Raghavan said:

I am finding it quite difficult to clearly see the Loop Region End Handles for acting on them.

Too many Things and Icons popping up around cursor... I am sure they would and supposed to help, but they seem to be occluding things behind them.

I am sure there would be tricks/tips for managing them. 

So I can turn things on/off and make the Loop Region (yellow handles) or selection region (blue colored)  clearly visible for action.

Related to this, is there a Nudge Function for moving the Selection Line left/right with keyboard arrow keys?  I found that there is Process-> Nudge -> .... but it does not show any keyboard shortcuts.

I am quite pleased that I can set the Left or Right loop edge to NOW using the UI on the top Area.  That is coming handy given the problem I described above.

Thanks in advance 

Sri.

Numpad 1 to Nudge Left. 

Numpad 3 to Nudge Right. 

Try switching the Aim assistant ON/OFF by pressing the X-key on the keyboard and turning the Smart Tool OFF. 

You can do this by toggling between the Tools with F5 - F6 - F7 - F8 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Numpad 1 to Nudge Left. 

Numpad 3 to Nudge Right. 

Try switching the Aim assistant ON/OFF

You can nudge the whole selection, but not individual markers...?   I read it as wanting to nudge the Now Cursor which can be done with CAL. See post 23 here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/quotnudgingquot-the-quotcursorquot-now-time-m1339533.aspx

Ah, that pesky Aim Assistant; he quickly gets on my nerves, and the timestamp in the timeline is indeed problematic - almost always disabled here..

• Like 1

Not sure why you're getting re-directed to that URL. Below is the content of the post. I was quoting and responding to an earlier post. 

Open Notepad, enter this line:

(do (+= Now 240))

Save as "Transport Forward 16.cal"

Put this file to the folder with other CALs. Go to Options > Keybindings and assign this CAL to whatever key you like. Now if you press that key, cursor moves 16th note forward.

For opposite do the same but start with

(do (-= Now 240))

If you want cursor to move by bigger steps, enter 480 or 960 instead of 240.

(Clock resolution must be set to 960 ppq)

This deserves a bump. And FWIW, to prevent bad behavior when cursoring back to time zero, I did this:

(if (>= Now 30)
(-= Now 30)
(= Now 0)
)

Note: The "do" is not necessary if only one statement is to be executed. And the second statement works like an "else" in the case that the cursor is less than one full increment (30 ticks in this case) from time zero.

• Like 1