Audio Brewers ab Decoder

cclarry

We're so happy to present our latest release and very-first plugin suite: ab Decoder Suite - a set of plugins that will help users transform, manipulate and decode Ambisonics signals to various speakers-arrays from Stereo all the way to Surround formats and Atmos beds!

ab Decoder Suite comes in VST3 | AAX | AU and is compatible with all major DAWs both for Windows and MacOS (Intel and M1)

But that's not all! A free version is also available for those who simply want to quickly decode to stereo: ab Decoder Light.

Price is 44 Euros

More info at

https://www.audiobrewers.com/plugins/decoder

271547236_950327925597551_24581719968752

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, kevin H said:

I must be dense. Can’t find a price or how to buy hahah.   I see link to free one.  I was mostly curious what their price point might be. Suspect lots of ambisonic stuff coming our way. 

Yep...no price...nowhere...LOL

3 hours ago, Alex Sokolov said:

Let them know we need a trial to test if it worth 44 euro. While we have facebook spatial workstation, ATK, Rode's  decoder and a lot of other software for free. 

I have one Senheiser AMBEO VR mic for sale, btw. With a Rycote wind protection. PM if needed. 

Hi there,

So how about instead of a trial version, a free Light version that simply works forever? :)

When we decided to create the suite, trust me, we went through all the plugins you list (and more) so as to try and cherry pick the best features each one had to offer and lay them down on a unified, clean and easy interface . You see, right now, the Ambisonics world is way too 'I need to decode this' oriented. Our aim with the Suite was to offer a product for those users who need to 'do something' where decoding is just a step of the bigger picture and not the final objective.

Of course we know there are other powerful plugins out there with which you can achieve decoding and manipulation of Ambisonics signals, but we tried to unify the best of each plugin into one, simple and automated solution.

Audio Brewers' automatically suggests output array.
Audio Brewers' automatically troubleshoots your signal (many times we've seen our users getting confused when decoding Ambisonics)
Audio Brewers' works natively in Logic without the need to do any complex routing of 4 individual mono channels (what a pain!)
Audio Brewers' is 100% resizable, so you can scale the window size to your needs

Compared to Soundfield, apart from the points above:

Audio Brewers' has Roll control.
Audio Brewers' has Dominance control.
Audio Brewers' doesn't send audio info to the LFE whenever in surround mode.
Audio Brewers' doesn't include the Rode-only settings (mic position etc.) that can be confusing to those who simply want to transform a B-Signal file
Audio Brewers' can be inserted as a panner in Nuendo/Cubase Pro which can help unlock the automatic output suggestion

Compared to ATK (and trust me, ATK is an amazing tool and we absolutely bow our heads to its power and features!)

Audio Brewers' is also compatible with AAX, AU and VST3, and not locked to Reaper
Audio Brewers' tried to simplify controls to make things easy to people who need things done in a matter of seconds.
Audio Brewers' has a friendly interface designed to be understood by anyone who might not be very related to the Ambisonics world.
Audio Brewers' is not 10+ plugins where each does one thing, but instead 1 plugin that does all (although there are split versions, too!) :)

I guess in a way, we're absolutely sure this plugin could fit some users more than others, and maybe there could be plugins that could offer deeper settings and you could spend hours looking for that perfect sweet spot - but to us, it was more important to make a plugin that can manipulate and decode signals in a matter of seconds so that you can move on to what's really important in any given project. 

So if you have a project where the main objective is to decode an Ambisonics signal into a custom-array of 50+ speakers dome placed at custom positions, this Suite might not be what you need.

However, if you a have a project in which you are mixing some sound design for film, or composing some music and have a couple of ambisonics tracks you need to convert to an Atmos bed, Stereo objects or even ITU Surround Formats, and then you move on to whatever is next, then the Suite will perfectly fit in your workflow, because you will spend 10 seconds setting it up :)

We invite you to check our our video tutorials in which we explain how to setup and decode Ambisonics signals in most DAWs, generally in about 1-2 minutes, because to us, it shouldn't take longer than that :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@Audio Brewers 

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. 

However, I am personally interested (not not so much, actually: the demand for ambisonics projects has dropped a lot in the last couple of years) in the trial of the full version because of ab Transformer. 

I've worked a lot with ambisonics, I have Dear VR Pro, Audio Ease 360 Pan Suite, some weirder programs like Sound Particles. It's easy for me to just decode the signal.

I'm interested in software that would give me:
- Harpex B - quality decoder for lower price, 
- Convolution reverb, working with custom samples (like Noise Makers Ambi Verb HD for lower price again)
- decoder for a custom speaker array (like 5.0 + one speaker above) working somehow in Pro Tools Ultimate.

I'd like to check the algorithm of your decoder, but I don't think it is better than Harpex B or at least Dear VR, and it is hard to test it in a home studio with the free light version.
I like the ab Transformer capabilities - it would be interesting to check it out, not sure if there are analogs for Pro Tools.  But there is no trial and there is no ab Transformer in the light version.
I'm interested in Automatic Troubleshooting - does it differentiate between FuMa or AmbiX on input?

2 hours ago, Alex Sokolov said:

@Audio Brewers 

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. 

However, I am personally interested (not not so much, actually: the demand for ambisonics projects has dropped a lot in the last couple of years) in the trial of the full version because of ab Transformer. 

I've worked a lot with ambisonics, I have Dear VR Pro, Audio Ease 360 Pan Suite, some weirder programs like Sound Particles. It's easy for me to just decode the signal.

I'm interested in software that would give me:
- Harpex B - quality decoder for lower price, 
- Convolution reverb, working with custom samples (like Noise Makers Ambi Verb HD for lower price again)
- decoder for a custom speaker array (like 5.0 + one speaker above) working somehow in Pro Tools Ultimate.

I'd like to check the algorithm of your decoder, but I don't think it is better than Harpex B or at least Dear VR, and it is hard to test it in a home studio with the free light version.
I like the ab Transformer capabilities - it would be interesting to check it out, not sure if there are analogs for Pro Tools.  But there is no trial and there is no ab Transformer in the light version.
I'm interested in Automatic Troubleshooting - does it differentiate between FuMa or AmbiX on input?

That's correct, 'ab Transformer' only comes in the full version - as I said, we are sure there are other plugins in the market that can do what ours do, however in our mind was simply the EASE, the SIMPLICITY and the AUTOMATION part, and we certainly believe there's no match to our Suite as of now (esp. if you compare prices :) ).

Our aim wasn't to try and "eclipse" other products as we know other companies with more years in the game, of course have deeper experience - but simply to offer an alternative to people that might be looking for something different.

Most of our users are composers and honestly, we've noticed the complexity of nowadays decoders and tools is one of the biggest reasons why Ambisonics tech is not as mainstream as it should be, this is why we decided to try and bring the tech closer to them.

And the automatic troubleshooting plays a big role here, too... Although it cannot differentiate between fuma and ambix (it's a way too abstract concept for a machine in 2022 standards :) ), it's again more oriented towards people who do "other things" in which Ambisonics is just one step, and not the objective.

Oh it's in our intentions to add more speakers configurations, even if they are not "compatible" with the DAWs, we're just thinking of a way to not make it ugly or confusing, as per our philosophy explained above, but a 5.1.1/5.0.1 output I think shouldn't be a huge issue to add. Stay tuned though :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

BIG Update for 'ab Decoder Suite', including ATMOS bed channels support for Logic Pro X!

Logic Pro X (AU)

Finally, ATMOS SUPPORT!*

New Channel Configurations:

Stereo (also available in Light)
Stereo Headphones (also available in Light)
Quadraphonic
Surround 5.1
Surround 7.1
Atmos 5.1.2
Atmos 5.1.4
Atmos 7.1.2
Atmos 7.1.4:

Suite no longer crashes when inserted in a non-compatible channel.
Settings are now properly recalled on reloading a project.

*ATMOS support for Logic is currently available for Audio, Kontakt itself is still incompatible with Atmos projects, as soon as Native Instruments issues an update, we’ll get to work! :)

Nuendo | Cubase Pro (VST3)

Quadraphonic
Surround 5.1
Surround 6.1
Surround 7.1
Atmos 5.1.2 (automatically routed through 7.1.2)
Atmos 5.1.4
Atmos 7.1.2
Atmos 7.1.4

Reaper (VST3)

Quadraphonic

Surround 5.1
Surround 6.1
Surround 7.1
Surround 9.1
Atmos 5.1.2
Atmos 5.1.4
Atmos 7.1.2
Atmos 7.1.4
Atmos 7.1.6
Atmos 9.1.2
Atmos 9.1.4
Atmos 9.1.6

Pro Tools | Ultimate (AAX)

New Channel Configuration, even if not natively supported by the DAW:

Quadraphonic
Surround 5.1
Surround 6.1
Surround 7.1
Atmos 5.1.2 (automatically routed through 7.1.2)
Atmos 7.1.2

Additional Plugin-wide changes:

Optimised the Decoding Algorithms.
Optimised Visualiser Algorithm.
Optimised Rotator Algorithm.
Fixed Visualiser levels too large when window is small.