Questions about Midi and Alesis Turbo Mesh Drumset

RexRed

4 hours ago, RexRed said:

There has got to be a way to change the note numbers for these drum controllers within the device itself.

I figure if I can find a basic kit that works, I can lay down the midi then change/edit it afterwards.

The drum pedal is not like the Nitro it is a switch, on or off no velocity sensitivity. So, every time I hit it, it is like full blast.

The high-hat I can't even hear hardly at all, and the cymbals are quiet too.

For 100 dollars more I could have gotten something with a velocity sensitive kick and more editing capabilities on the controllers.

I will have to make this work for now, I already threw away the boxes.

Strange - I don't have issues with velocity on mine, although in general I find the hi-hats on most kits mixed too low, but this is a simple hi-hat volume thing not a velocity issue.

You can adjust velocity curves on the nitro mesh. Maybe this will solve your issue.

IIRC I couldn't find any way to change the output notes on the nitro mesh though.   I actually use an Alesis DM5 along side it for extra cymbal pads, as before I bought the nitro mesh I had a DIY kit made out of a Remo practice kit and piezo transducers.   On the DM5 everything is configurable, however there's no half hi-hat on that, just open/closed.  It's fine for adding a few cymbals though ( note these are fed directly into CbB through another MIDI interface, and don't play the internal sounds on the nitro mesh).

For the most part the nitro mesh is mapped to GM.   The only exceptions are the half open hi-hat, and the hi-hat splash sound both of which can be tricky to get at first until you get comfortable with the hi-hat pedal.   These are output as Note 23 ( half hi-hat ) and Note 21 (splash hi-hat).

• Like 1

I really wish I had purchased the Nitro instead of the Turbo. Too late now...

One thing I did was place the brain in between the snare and cymbal 1 and I put the high hat where everyone else (on Youtube) put the brain. (on the end )

The order goes, high hat > snare > brain

Now the high hat is directly over the high hat foot pedal.

This also allows me to use my right hand for the brain which is also more intuitive. 

I contacted Alesis with a question about changing the note numbers, they said in the email form they would reply within 48 hours, days later no reply at all.

I can't figure out how to change the velocity on the Turbo and the manual is useless. It would not have hurt to document more in the manual.

I love the feel of the drums but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.