Tempo stuff

jkoseattle

Question

This new Tempo Map thing, while taking a little getting used to, is very elegant, and I love how familiar the envelope editing options are. Very nice job!! Goodbye and good riddance to that old tempo window!!!

I will often need to record a passage at a slower tempo than it will be played at. Years ago there was this convenient feature where you had tempo offsets you could enable temporarily, but that feature seems to be long gone. So I have resorted to inserting a tempo change just for recording purposes, and then going back and removing it when recording was done. I'm thinking that since the team built this whole tempo made thing, that there must be some new best practice for this use case.  

So how do people normally handle it when they need to slow things down temporarily to record, but that's not a "real" tempo change?

4 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, John Vere said:

For midi I just slow down the whole project. For audio I’m sceptical that time stretches will not trash my recording so haven’t used it. 

If there's audio in there, CW doesn't mess with it unless you explicitly tell it to in the tempo dialog. Which means the audio will not match whatever tempo you changed to. I should have mentioned that when I am slowing down for recording (Midi), I often have to mute all audio tracks so they won't confuse me. And then I have to make DARN SURE when I restore the tempo again it's EXACTLY what it was before.

• Like 1

Well no, cheating is cheating! But I slow things down all the time because it's faster than doing take after take until you get it perfect. I CAN play it, but I don't have all the time in the world either. 

But that is my rule for auto-tuning vocals. I use it all the time to prevent wasting my vocal cords on 20 takes. If I COULD sing it, I am permitted to auto-tune myself. If not, then foul!!

• Like 1