Garbled Audio

Arthur Fultz

All of a sudden today all my projects output horribly garbled audio. Just trying to use computer speakers, which are working fine otherwise.  In Preferences/Audio/Playback and Recording the Driver Mode is MME (32-bit), Dithering is None and boxes checked are Use Multiprocessing Engine, use MMCS and Always Stream Audio through FX.  Where do I need to start Trouble-shooting? 

Need some information about your system such as processor, RAM, what audio interface, etc but I would try rebooting first.

If you don't have a dedicated audio interface with proper ASIO drivers, you should seriously consider getting one. In the meantime, switch driver mode to WASAPI.

Edited by bdickens

8 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Need some information about your system but I would try rebooting first.

That was first thing I did. No change.  Running Cakewalk on a Windows 8.1 machine with 8 mg ram.  Another Cakewalk user has suggested changing MME to WASAPI while third suggested must have an audio interface with ASIO drivers.  The MME was originally suggested by a blogger for use with Yamaha PSR-E373 keyboard connected via midi cable.  Those things all worked OK until very recently, when I started getting huge latency issues and a kind of popping type repeat of the actual notes as recorded.  Now no pitches are present, just a low-end grumble of sound.

The MIDI driver mode and the audio driver mode are two different things set in different places.

The MIDI driver mode does not affect audio so the choice of MME or UWP in the MIDI preferences is mostly governed by what the hardware requires.

When using the internal PC sound chip WASAPI driver modes are recommended for Win10.

For older OSes try WDM first.

For audio, MME is the last choice.

That said, try increasing the buffer size using the slider under Mixing Latency in Preferences > Audio >  Driver Settings