Removing Cakewalk but keeping the VST folder

Nick Blanc

Question

Hi all,

I want to create some space on the HD, so I wanted to delete Cakewalk (I know I know, I switched to Ableton recently). Now, if I decide to uninstall Cakewalk using the Apps section in Windows, will that also delete my VST folder which I still use to install all my plugins?

Or would it work if I make a backup of that folder and manually move it back in its original location?

2 answers to this question

It won’t touch your VST folder or any 3rd party folders. But the stuff that comes free with Cakewalk is inside the Cakewalk folders so probably removes that. You will loose any 3 rd party VSTs that got installed to there as well. That’s why it’s a good idea not to use that folder for none Cakewalk stuff  

Just copy that folder to outside of Cakewalk folder

Or better to re install them and make sure to choose a none Cakewalk folder this time 

Yeah, re-install is not gonna happen haha. I really should at some time just to de-clutter everything, but it's not a fun task.

Anyway, thanks for your answer, I figured as much. Just wanted tot check. I think I will copy the VST folder, delete Cakewalk and re-create the Cakewalk folder in program files, but just as a holder for the VST folder.