Hi guys, my time ruler set to M:B:T but is not aligned with the metronome.

Arthur H

I've looked in the help and on Google but probably I'm not even sure what to type to search.  My time ruler is set to M:B:t, but when I pay back my track with the metronome, my quarter note beats are not aligned with the time ruler.  Doesn't M:B:T mean alignment?  I'm trying to get my time ruler to reflect the tempo so that each numerical increment on my time ruler starts a new measure. 

Also, when I click my ruler, it goes down to the atom seconds, I want to simply click on the first beat of a measure.  It would be nice to be able to click my ruler right at the first beat of a measure but I hover my mouse on the ruler and I try to click on 5 (for example the start of the 5th measure) and I get 5:02:011, or 4:04:829 and its all over the place.  I can't simply click on 5 and have my Now time be 5.  

Ive watched tutorials.  A lot of it goes over complex things, I'm just trying to do simple things at this point.  The software is so unintuitive. 

(while trying to research this topic, here is a search I tried:  https://www.google.com/search?q=cakewalk+sonar+time+ruler+match+tempo  but the results do specifically talk about the time ruler)

Edited by Arthur H

Hi Arthur,

If you turn on Snap, you can set it to snap to any increment (measure, quarter note, eighth note, etc.).  You can also use Aim Assist (press "x") and the will tell you exactly where you cursor is along the ruler.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Arthur,

You can find the "Snap" controls on the Control Bar at the top of the Cakewalk screen. (If you don't see the Control Bar, press "C" on your keyboard.) The default location (on my system) is near the left end, just to the right of the "Export" module. There is a little "waffle" or "grid" icon. Click that to turn Snap on or off. Make sure the switch to the right of the icon is set to "Snap to," NOT "Snap by." Beneath the on-off icon is a button with a drop-down that lets you select what value you want to snap to. From your post I think you'll want to right-click that button and select 1/1 (Whole). Now when you put your pointer on the timeline and click, the cursor will snap to the beginning of the nearest measure.

If you have downloaded the Cakewalk Reference Guide from this website, you can read all about Snap starting on page 410.

Good luck!

Edited by Larry Jones
Clarity