How do I snap an audio clip to precisely fit my tempo beats?

Arthur H

thank you.    i'm just used to working in adobe audition and premiere pro, by default when you drag any clip, it automatically "snaps" directly after a clip you put it near, it's just such a handy and intuitive feature and this doesn't happen in Sonar.

it does happen in Sonar and it is even much more flexible

you can snap to the grid and many type of landmarks and there are settings where you can set it the way you like it in detail

you can snap by any given amount of measures, ticks, samples etc. you can only imagine

you can even set it to Smart Grid where Cakewalk will set the time resolution for you automatically depending on your workflow

John Vere is right, it takes watching some tutorials/reading a bit manual and you'll be at home with it

I have set my landmarks, specifically I used "Now Time" as a landmark and set my now time to be precisely at 5:01:01 (this alone was difficult because there's no easy way for me to simply click "5" on my time ruler without the time resolution being in the thousandths of places)  when I drag an audio clip near to another audio clip, it juts plops right on top of it.   I zoom in, as in super zoom, way way in, and I drag an audio file near another audio file and it drops wherever I drop it....it goes to the right, it puts a gap, or just plops on top of it...it goes exactly where my mouse drops it, it doesn't force-align with anything.

9 minutes ago, Arthur H said:

(this alone was difficult because there's no easy way for me to simply click "5" on my time ruler without the time resolution being in the thousandths of places)

that tells me your global on/off for SNAP is still off.. click that big SNAP button up on your control bar so it goes lit :) (in Cakewalk you can turn off snap completely for a free hand)

Edited by chris.r