ZOOM R16 and Cakewalk

Hi Guys,

I am using the zoom r16 with cakewalk and all seems good except, when i am tracing vocals, i can hear what can only be described as a doubling effect.  In Playback its fine I'm only hearing it when tracking and only  with vocals.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Could be a mix of the direct signal from the interface mixed with the return signal of the tracks being recorded (these tracks have input echo enabled).

This will sound like a slap back echo. The delay will vary depending on the size of the driver buffers and plug-in delay compensation.

To avoid the echo, monitor the recording tracks directly from the interface or from the DAW but not both.

20 hours ago, scook said:

Could be a mix of the direct signal from the interface mixed with the return signal of the tracks being recorded (these tracks have input echo enabled).

This will sound like a slap back echo. The delay will vary depending on the size of the driver buffers and plug-in delay compensation.

To avoid the echo, monitor the recording tracks directly from the interface or from the DAW but not both.

Thanks for this.  Im pretty sure i am only monitoring from the Zoom.  How do i disable monitoring from the Cakewalk?

Thanks

16 minutes ago, scook said:

Make sure input echo is not enabled on the tracks being recorded.

Input echo is the button right of the record button on track headers in the track view.

Thanks for that.  How do you monitor without that being enabled?  I cant hear anything unless that is enabled?

I do not know about Zoom devices.

Most audio interfaces have a way to monitor their inputs directly without going through the DAW.

Doing this and monitoring from the DAW at the same time will case an echo because the direct signal arrives at the monitors/headphones before the return signal from the DAW.