Jump to content
scook

Cherry Audio VM2500 Modules for Voltage Modular Announced

Recommended Posts

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/vm2500-collection

Intro price $49

Cherry Audio and MRB have collaborated to deliver the unique module features, stunning sound quality, and overall user experience of the rare and classic ARP 2500 synthesizer to the Voltage Modular platform. All 18 modules originally produced for the ARP 2500 system have been recreated in perfect detail, as well as a couple that were planned but never produced (including a full-function oscilloscope and a spring reverb), and a mixer module that never existed, but should have! We’ve eliminated the matrix-switch I/O scheme and replaced all connections with standard CV jacks, and added bi-polar CV attenuators to all modulation inputs for full compatibility with all Voltage Modular modules. But most importantly, the tremendous analog sound and unique features of the original modules have been retained in their entirety, with a few small tweaks to improve the practicality of these 50-year-old designs. The recreation of the 2500 modules was a team effort, combining Cherry Audio’s extensive design experience with award-winning synth designer Mark Barton’s (MRB) DSP coding sorcery. The result is a virtual time machine of fat, impactful early electronic music history for the ears!

 There will be a Live Stream on Friday, April 16th, at 1PM PDT to learn more about the VM2500 Collection. We'll explore some creative, awe-inspiring ways to wire up our new VM2500 Collection modules!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks great! A rare classic!

But since I recently added the Year Two Collection ($100 $136), which includes the FM bundle, Polymode bundle, Vector bundle, and Vintage Voice bundle, I'll probably wait a bit to add this one.

Vintage Voice contains the ARP 2600 modules.

And I also picked up the SEM modules when the Eight Voice was released. So I'll be busy for a while... It's remarkable that Cherry is releasing these modules at such a fast pace, and at such an affordable price point! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, abacab said:

This looks great! A rare classic!

But since I recently added the Year Two Collection ($100 $136), which includes the FM bundle, Polymode bundle, Vector bundle, and Vintage Voice bundle, I'll probably wait a bit to add this one.

Vintage Voice contains the ARP 2600 modules.

And I also picked up the SEM modules when the Eight Voice was released. So I'll be busy for a while... It's remarkable that Cherry is releasing these modules at such a fast pace, and at such an affordable price point! :)

I have all the stand alone VSTs so far .. Is this a modular repeat for a few of these and if one has all the vsts does one need it I wonder? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, abacab said:

The VM2500  Collection is not a standalone/VST, nor a repeat of any standalone/VSTs that Cherry has released so far.

The Vintage Voice bundle https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/vintage-voice-bundle contains the modules from the standalone/VST CA2600. https://cherryaudio.com/instruments/ca2600

Thanks ...

BTW I have also tried the DEMO route for this at the site and not understanding the concept to get it. Anyone tried demo button on CA before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In general, you get a different set of factory presets included for each if you buy a standalone/VST instrument, or the the VM modules for that instrument.

I have based that statement on the fact that I have the standalones and the modules for CA2600, Eight Voice, and Polymode. I don't consider them redundant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the VM2500 modules run in Voltage Modular.

Voltage Modular is Cherry Audio's modular synth. It comes as a stand alone and VST2/3 instrument and effect. There are AU and AAX formats too.

To demo any of the modules requires Voltage Modular.

Recently they have been giving away Voltage Nucleus which includes Voltage Modular and a few modules.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

BTW I have also tried the DEMO route for this at the site and not understanding the concept to get it. Anyone tried demo button on CA before?

I have demoed a number of modules. Some I bought; some I didn't. IIRC (at least in my experience) its just like a purchase in that you get a license via e-mail and when you start VM and it connect with the CA server and gets added to your library as a demo.

I believe you can order the demo (for modules that have demos) either through the store in a web browser or from the store in VM itself (presuming you have VM).

Sec, I will try it.

Edited by User 905133

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

   

Just now, User 905133 said:

I have demoed a number of modules. Some I bought; some I didn't. IIRC (at least in my experience) its just like a purchase in that you get a license via e-mail and when you start VM and it connect with the CA server and gets added to your library as a demo.

I believe you can order the demo (for modules that have demos) either through the store in a web browser or from the store in VM itself.

Sec, I will try it.

Yip tried it and i got the demos inside my Voltage Modular

 

@scook & @User 905133 Thanks for that, I should have thought of that. Opened my Voltage Modular and there was the VM2500 Module demos.

I would be a modular novice, however would it be still ok to get this to initially just use the presets, I have to say I like the sound of many .. Im afraid I am a retro sound Tangerine Dream, Jarre etc type person

 

 

Edited by aidan o driscoll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I would be a modular novice, however would it be still ok to get this to initially just use the presets

Why not?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am biased: my first experiences with a commercial synth was with a Moog, so for me using patch cords to route modules, using control voltages and triggers, etc. seems like second nature.  And thanks for reminding me to get the demo before the upcoming Live Stream. BTW, it looks like its a 7-day demo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I am biased: my first experiences with a commercial synth was with a Moog, so for me using patch cords to route modules, using control voltages and triggers, etc. seems like second nature.  And thanks for reminding me to get the demo before the upcoming Live Stream. BTW, it looks like its a 7-day demo.

I started out on an EMS Synthi A in the days when a preset was a list of settings on paper, so patching and routing is a familiar concept.

I have been really getting into voltage modular recently so its almost inevitable I will add this but  I am currently thinking the wavetable oscillator should be my next priority to expand the sound pallet

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Live event around this release in about an hour

 

 

it's a live

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't have watched that video (as he breaks out the visa card...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have downloaded the demo versions of both the Voltage Modular and the VSTi versions, On initial exploration they both look and sound very good.

I like the way the modules are available separately in Voltage Modular rather than as an Instrument with " voice" modules for when a more immediate solution is required. I wish they had taken the approch with the Oberheim expander.

The VSTi version is certainly more immediate and may be a better choice for those who do not want to create more radical patches. The GUI is also bigger and clearer.  Having both could be justified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I have downloaded the demo versions of both the Voltage Modular and the VSTi versions, On initial exploration they both look and sound very good.

I like the way the modules are available separately in Voltage Modular rather than as an Instrument with " voice" modules for when a more immediate solution is required. I wish they had taken the approch with the Oberheim expander.

The VSTi version is certainly more immediate and may be a better choice for those who do not want to create more radical patches. The GUI is also bigger and clearer.  Having both could be justified.

Im not sure there is a VSTi version of the VM2500 ( the arp 2500 ). They do have the CA2600 as a VSTi which is the ARP 2600. The ARP 2600 back in the day was a scaled back, cheaper version of the ARP2500 thats the VM2500 is based on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Im not sure there is a VSTi version of the VM2500 ( the arp 2500 ). They do have the CA2600 as a VSTi which is the ARP 2600. The ARP 2600 back in the day was a scaled back, cheaper version of the ARP2500 thats the VM2500 is based on.

 

Yes, you are correct, my bad.  Not sure how I confused myself. The VM version of the CA2600 is vintage voice.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I have downloaded the demo versions of both the Voltage Modular and the VSTi versions, On initial exploration they both look and sound very good.

I like the way the modules are available separately in Voltage Modular rather than as an Instrument with " voice" modules for when a more immediate solution is required. I wish they had taken the approch with the Oberheim expander.

Aidan is correct. There is no VSTi version of the VM2500 Modules. 😉

But with the Cherry Audio Oberheim expander, you can have it either way as VSTi and/or modules with either the Eight Voice VSTi and/or the SEM modules. Same thing with the CA2600 VSTi and/or the Synth Voice modules.

Edited by abacab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...