sustain pedal crash

Jmus

Since recent update, the sustain pedal is causing the system to crash once material is recorded. On playback it just crashes. Initially I thought it was the 2nd keyboard I was using throu an interface, so checked with the maudio I normally use. Whenever the sustain pedal is used, it crashes on playback.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Try this:
image.thumb.png.4c915fbd1e401649a12addc3f01248eb.png

If you're still getting issues, check that you've not got a MIDI feedback loop going on, e.g.:
- Check which tracks are echoing MIDI data
- Disable MIDI output for synths you're not using MIDI output on
- Check the MIDI input filter for MIDI tracks (e.g. are you receiving MIDI from a synth on other tracks?)

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Try this:

If you're still getting issues, check that you've not got a MIDI feedback loop going on, e.g.:
- Check the MIDI input filter for MIDI tracks (e.g. are you receiving MIDI from a synth on other tracks?)

Thank you, will try this and feedback. Not an issue thats ocured before. 

Try this:

Have tried all of your suggestions and still crashes as soon as I playback the recorded material that has sustain pedal on. 

I'm using loop midi and midi ox - I believe you showed me how to set this up  a while back. I can try resetting it up again to see if perhaps something there is not quite right....I did have to reset it a few times when trying to sort out the pedal problem?

System

Windows 10 Home version 2004

i7 64bit

32GB RAM

Focusrite pro40 soundcard

Latest version of Cakewalk by Bandlab

USB Maudio keyboard with sustain pedal attached

It does sound like a MIDI feedback loop to me.  I'd double check your configuration with both loopMIDI and MidiOX.

Remember that whatever appears on loopMIDI's MIDI output will also appear on its MIDI input (and vice versa).

So it's important you don't have Cakewalk listening to both.  I tend to create two separate loopMIDI ports, and use one for input and one for output.

Also check the echo settings in Midi-OX - even now that confuses me, so it's easy to get it into a feedback loop and especially when you're already using a loopback MIDI device.

It does sound like a MIDI feedback loop to me.  I'd double check your configuration with both loopMIDI and MidiOX.

Remember that whatever appears on loopMIDI's MIDI output will also appear on its MIDI input (and vice versa).

So it's important you don't have Cakewalk listening to both.  I tend to create two separate loopMIDI ports, and use one for input and one for output.

Also check the echo settings in Midi-OX - even now that confuses me, so it's easy to get it into a feedback loop and especially when you're already using a loopback MIDI device.

Just reset the loop midi and midi -OX. Same issue. Without pedal it plays back just fine. With sustain pedal it crashes on playback. The program just shuts down. It pauses for a moment after pressing spacebar then shuts down.

16 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Why do you need loopMIDI / midiOX out of interest?

Can't you just have CbB record the pedal directly from the MAudio keyboard?

I have a notation program (Finale) that I sometimes like to have running at the same time as Cakewalk both programms work via usb, but sometimes I need both programs open at once. In this case I get the message that the port is in use by another program so whichever I open second won't work

I think you reccomended that I use loopMidi/MidiOX

Edited by Jill Jarman

Goto Insert->Rewire Device from the main menu. You should see Finale listed there if you're running v25 or later. When you select it, you'll get what looks like the insert synth dialog - just select it as a simple instrument track for now.

Once that's done, making the Finale track the active track (with echo on) should send all MIDI data to Finale from CbB.

The transports of both Finale and CbB should be in sync as well - i.e. when you press play in CbB, Finale will follow.

I don't use rewire myself, but other users are using it for Sibelius and Notion, so it might be worth asking  some of those users how they have things set up.  When using rewire, you shouldn't need any other loopback devices.

Some of them have commented in this thread: 

13 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Goto Insert->Rewire Device from the main menu. You should see Finale listed there if you're running v25 or later. When you select it, you'll get what looks like the insert synth dialog - just select it as a simple instrument track for now.

Once that's done, making the Finale track the active track (with echo on) should send all MIDI data to Finale from CbB.

The transports of both Finale and CbB should be in sync as well - i.e. when you press play in CbB, Finale will follow.

I don't use rewire myself, but other users are using it for Sibelius and Notion, so it might be worth asking  some of those users how they have things set up.  When using rewire, you shouldn't need any other loopback devices.

This looks promising, thank you! Will look into this first thing tomorrow with a clear head. It will be a relief not to have to use loop midi etc if this works

13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

This is interesting.....seems to work seamlessly. Will do some experimenting to see if its a good workflow - will also test out some hardware to see if anythign there is causing the problem. Meanwhile, thanks for this. If I can work with it set up this way then I can, as you say, just use the USB from the keyboard

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jill Jarman said:

Still crashes with the sustain pedal even when using keyboard usb - no loop midi or midi ox, so something going on within Cakewalk for sure.

If you take rewire & Finale out of the equation, and just use CbB on its own, does it still crash?

21 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

If you take rewire & Finale out of the equation, and just use CbB on its own, does it still crash?

Hi Mark, yes it still crashes. So to recap: In cakewalk for Bandlab, stripping back to one keboard connected to pc via usb, sustain pedal plugged into keyboard, no rewire Finale, one track with Aria synth. Records fine. When trying to playback it crashes out of the program.

In Sonar platinum: can use loop midi/midi-ox and sustain pedal and its fine. No crashes and very stable

44 minutes ago, Jill Jarman said:

Hi Mark, yes it still crashes. So to recap: In cakewalk for Bandlab, stripping back to one keboard connected to pc via usb, sustain pedal plugged into keyboard, no rewire Finale, one track with Aria synth. Records fine. When trying to playback it crashes out of the program.

In Sonar platinum: can use loop midi/midi-ox and sustain pedal and its fine. No crashes and very stable

Can you post a screen shot (ALT + PrtSc) of these dialogs in preferences?

image.png.7f18eec3a122caf41dacc84adce2b950.png

image.png.2c5be23bdde90816bba4d33938ea5a5d.png

image.png.2ab9bfcc66b4222d25462da095c1f811.png