Cakewalk freezes after selecting a cwt

Octavio Almanza

Question

I am a beginner trying to get into producing, so I decided to give cakewalk a try.

I downloaded cakewalk and it seemed to work well. I could access different instruments and record. However, whenever I tried to play my recording, there would be no sound at all. I decided to see if there were any updates for my laptop's (Dell XPS 9500) speakers, and there was apparently an update released on December 10.

I installed the update and booted up cakewalk, only to find that the program would stop responding after selecting a cwt. The UI elements will load, but the mouse will be in the hourglass shape preventing me from accessing anything. After a minute or two, I get the "A dropout has stopped the audio engine (0)" error message.

I tried reinstalling the program 3 times already. Is there anything else I should try?

3 answers to this question

Hi Octavio and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

Are you opening a Cakewalk template file or is it a template you created yourself?  I would try opening the file by pressing and holding down the Shift key while opening the (cwt) file.

Kind regards,

tecknot