W.A. Production Halloween Flash Sale (multiple plug-ins under $5)

Starship Krupa

W.A. Production are running a Halloween Flash Sale (I couldn't figure out how long it runs, so get over there) with such juicy deals as the Mystical Halloween Bundle, which includes Mutant Delay, Dodge Pro, and Screamo, for $9.90, and The King 2 (I'm getting this one for sure), Vocal Compressor (ditto), SphereDelay, PunchyWorm and Instascale, for $4.90 each.

This is some Halloween candy right here. W.A. Production are a new fave, don't let the low prices fool ya, they're not another SoundSpot with mostly "nothing special" algorithms tarted up with pretty UI's.

Couple of pleasant surprises when I went to W.A. Production to cash in on this.

First, I  noticed that despite never having spent an actual dime there, I had one of their "chips" that could be flipped for $4 credit (probably from rating and reviewing the freebies I got). I did this, and bought the Mystical Bundle plus Vocal Compressor. After that, I had been given yet another chip, so I cashed it in and got The King 2. Because my order came to $0.90 the order processing algorithm  just gave it to me for free.

I came out of the whole thing with 5 new plug-ins, plus the monthly giveaway sound pack, having spent just under $11. I guess I got a whiff of what IK Multimedia is like for Larry. 😄 Moral of the story is that if you're a W.A. Production fan like me, buy your stuff from them direct so that you can rack up those chips. Also rate and review, because that gets you even more credit.

The other pleasant surprise was that Screamo, the plug-in I was least interested in from the bundle, turned out to be  really cool. I ran a drum loop through it and got an instant "We Will Rock You" drum sound.

Each of the plug-ins turned out to be fun and potentially useful. Vocal Compressor on the drum loop on the "Punk Rock Vocal" preset was monstrous. Dodge Pro is way more than just a fake sidechain effect, it has 3 filter bands to go with the volume band, each of all of these independently drawn, with template shapes to start from.

I also got around to trying W.A. Production Venom for the first time, and that is a really cool effect. Hard to describe what it does (it has several different modules), except to say that I'm going to put it in my "reverb" category for now.

For software industry geeks,this all made me curious so I poked around a bit and their plug-ins seem to come from at least 4 different distinct sources: there's Rahman Fotouhi, the guy who does Instachord/Instascale and Dodge Pro, then there's Re-Compose, which is where Venom and MIDIQ are from, then there are the ones with the SoundSpot-esque UI's like The King and Vocal Compressor, then the Sphere Series and ComBear and PunchyWorm, their single control cartoon Sausage Fattener things. Wherever they're getting them from, they've shown good taste so far.