thatoneXman

this program is NOT User Friendly.

On 9/11/2020 at 3:25 AM, thatoneXman said:

I mostly use DAWs for making music. so far, I have LMMS, OpenMPT, Soundbridge, and Cakewalk. Yes, I have experience with DAWs.

That surely isn't a comparable set of products. If you compare Cakewalk with other highly specified pro DAWs like  Cubase, ProTools, Logic, etc,, I'm sure you'll find Cakewalk as good or better in terms of usability AND function. One of CdB's best features is that it lays in front of you and makes immediately accessible a fantastic array of features in a super graphical interface (which you can customise extensively). Compare this with Cubase, for example, where you have to hunt though a highly opaque set of menus to get at even quite simple functions. I agree with most other comments here: to use a highly-specified product like Cakewalk requires some investment in learning how to do things, but it's worth it.

• Like 1

In addition,  there is also the Add Track button shown simply as the big "+" at the top of  the track view. You can choose audio or instrument tracks from the pop out menu. However, it seems to lack the "add MIDI track"  option show in the other methods.

Covered in detail here in the Cakewalk Documentation: http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x18A8C

Cakewalk - add track.PNG

Edited by abacab

We had a good laugh in the old forums when this button was introduced.

IIRC, it brought the number of ways to create a new track up to 7.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, John said:

You do know that there is a right click menu on the track header area for doing that?

Of course I do. It was actually the first thing I tried when I wanted to add tracks. I wrote that from the perspective of a new user who may not be so right click oriented, and to point out how counterintuitive the menu system is.

The menus in the major views are confusing and inconsistent.

If we assume that the Track View is the "default" view, then the other views should follow the same menu logic (such as it is) and layout.

As much as I love the Console View, its menus are baffling. "Track" menu instead of "Tracks" menu, Modules and Strips should be consolidated into a View menu, Track Manager is in the Strips menu rather than the Track(s) menu as it is in Track View, and Track and Bus should be consolidated into a single menu. Options is the only one that makes complete sense, and it's in a different location from the Track View's Options menu.

In Piano Roll View, the commands that are in the Notes menu and Controllers menu should be in the missing Options menu, and again, there's no way to add new tracks from inside the PRV (even with a right click in the Track pane), you have to switch to another view or the Global menu to do that. Also, and this is the most egregious omission, there's no way to go directly to Drum Map Manager from the Piano Roll View, which is where drum maps are used.

None of these changes require revisions to code in the functions themselves, they're just shuffling menus around, and, before the moaning geezers chime in, there could be an option to use the old menu configuration.

[the Add Track button ] seems to lack the "add MIDI track"  option show in the other methods

@abacab, it's there, it's just easy to miss. When you select "Intrument," down at the very bottom of the list of synths is "MIDI Only." I think it would be better to have it as a checkbox or even a tab, with options to set the output, etc., but it's there.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

@abacab, it's there, it's just easy to miss. When you select "Intrument," down at the very bottom of the list of synths is "MIDI Only." I think it would be better to have it as a checkbox or even a tab, with options to set the output, etc., but it's there.

You're right, it's there. Too awkward to scroll to the bottom for that one. (As in I have a long list of synths, so didn't notice that hanging waaaaaay down the list). Agree that it needs its own tab or something...

@Noel Borthwickthis looks like an easy one!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Starship Krupa I see where you are coming from.  Its all good.

• Like 1