Sound Cutting Out Randomly at different places each time during playback

Kiara Lee

Question

My project has randomly started "cutting out" during playback. The weird thing is it changes places every time. For example, I will hear the sound cut out at 2.10 so I replay that timestamp and it doesn't repeat. But if I keep listening it will cut out at a different spot. Every time I try to pinpoint the cutout it changes. It's not a full audio cutout, its almost as if the level is lowered for one second or so. I've tried importing other tracks and it happens to them as well, always in different places. I'm also not getting any dropout messages and I can't see any change in the waveform where the cutouts are happening. I exported the file to a .wav file to master it and the cutouts happen in the wave file as well, but at least they stay in the same place. Happens in mp3 format too. I've restarted my computer and rebooted everything but nothing works. I'm starting to think I'm going crazy. Help!

5 answers to this question

If ALL audio is dropping out, this might be an expired/trial VST on your master bus. I'd start there. I don't think a track FX VST could cut ALL audio, just its own audio downstream.

Voxengo SPAN is free and shouldn't have a trial mode but I supposed there might be  a setting that does this. Could something else have been installed alongside, and used by the project?

How often does the sound cut out? Is it following a pattern?  Is it TRULY cutting out to nothing, or is it just dropping in volume by a large amount?

On 9/5/2020 at 2:44 AM, Nigel Mackay said:

Is it possibly a VST with an expired trial period? Some of them do audio dropouts, some of them produce bursts of noise.

It definitely could be. Is there a way to check this besides going though plugins one by one? I could also add that it began happening after I downloaded the plugin Voxengo Span. Thanks

On 9/6/2020 at 11:18 AM, Colin Nicholls said:

If ALL audio is dropping out, this might be an expired/trial VST on your master bus. I'd start there. I don't think a track FX VST could cut ALL audio, just its own audio downstream.

Voxengo SPAN is free and shouldn't have a trial mode but I supposed there might be  a setting that does this. Could something else have been installed alongside, and used by the project?

How often does the sound cut out? Is it following a pattern?  Is it TRULY cutting out to nothing, or is it just dropping in volume by a large amount?

I see what you’re saying, mine keeps cutting out when I use plugins (VST) how do I stop this?

56 minutes ago, 107 Ammar said:

I see what you’re saying, mine keeps cutting out when I use plugins (VST) how do I stop this?

Don't use plug-ins (VST). 😒

But seriously, more info on your computer system, sound card or audio interface and what plug-ins you're using would help us help you.

Plus, this thread is 2 1/2 years-old, and the OP never came back to tell us what happened, so starting a new thread with the pertinent information we need to help you would be better.

• Great Idea 2