freeform looping

Adam

Hey everybody,

Just wondering, for years I've been waiting for Cakewalk to give me the option to freeform loop (ignoring tempo), but, still, it doesn't seem it's possible, so, I end up copying and pasting. For me, I often am looping sound design work for theatre/dance/film soundtrack work, and, I don't want it to stretch the audio, and, their tempo is irrelevant in the design.  How I wish I could do this: any tips?  And if you're listening, Bandlab, I pray you implement a freeform looping feature in a future update!

cheers,

Adam

7 hours ago, Adam said:

Just wondering, for years I've been waiting for Cakewalk to give me the option to freeform loop (ignoring tempo), but, still, it doesn't seem it's possible, so, I end up copying and pasting. For me, I often am looping sound design work for theatre/dance/film soundtrack work, and, I don't want it to stretch the audio, and, their tempo is irrelevant in the design.  How I wish I could do this: any tips?  And if you're listening, Bandlab, I pray you implement a freeform looping feature in a future update!

Are you talking about the ability to trigger audio loops along a time line and just sliding around the starting point of the loops totally ignoring tempo, beats, etc.?

I never tried this in a DAW, but it sounds like something I might want to use.

EDIT: In another thread, someone posted a link to a video on using Melda Productions' SuperLooper plug-in.  Maybe that's the kind of thing you had in mind?

Edited by User 905133
to post a reference to a video on Melda Productions' Superlooper

On 6/28/2020 at 3:09 AM, Adam said:

Hey everybody,

Just wondering, for years I've been waiting for Cakewalk to give me the option to freeform loop (ignoring tempo)

Looping a selection independent of tempo is easy in Cakewalk. Turn off Snap to Grid. Drag on the Timeline to make a selection. Press SHIFT + L to set Loop Points. Press the Spacebar to continuously play the  selection. Press again to stop.

Drag in the middle of the selection on the Timeline to move the selection. Drag the Loop Points to widen or shrink the selection.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your answers. @Bill Phillips: yes, very aware I can do this, but, this is not useful for composition, only for playback. I'm talking about dragging out non-tempo dependent loops in the same manner you would with a groove clip, but free of tempo, it just extends the clip based on its own tempo. You can do this in Adobe Auditon, for example. I think the only way to do it is the way @Kevin Perry specifies (duplicating the clip over and over), which, is exactly what I do, and, believe me, I resent this method deeply! I really don't understand why freeform looping isn't a feature; it's a super basic add on, I imagine. 

Edited by Adam

8 hours ago, Adam said:

I'm talking about dragging out non-tempo dependent loops in the same manner you would with a groove clip, but free of tempo, it just extends the clip based on its own tempo.

Thanks for clarifying, @Adam.  As I understand it, the issue here is one of using a mouse (dragging a loop edge) verses using keys [keyboard shortcuts, menu selections, etc.].  I can totally relate to personal workflows based on left-hand, right-hand, multiple-hands preferences.