Exporting stems for other DAWs Problem

Heinz Hupfer

Question

HI:)

I mentioned that I have never ever exported a project to another DAW.

Now following problem:

Audio Tracks are no problem, if the tempo is the same in the other DAW, they are imported (Drag&Drop) at the correct time (Time stamp)!

With Miditracks I first made bounce to clips, then take the left clipend and pull it to starting time zero. 

Now I have tried Export and Drag&Drop to the browser, the empty bars I made to the beginning of the track(and the end) are missing at import or drag&drop in the other DAW!

Searched the forum but nothing  to solve this:(  

How can I export a Miditrack for to import it correctly into the other DAW? (Not Reason, Logic Pro X on Mac and Cubase/Windows)

I need to share my projects with other musicians to record more stuff and perhaps edit a few tracks....

Thanks a lot;)

Bassman.

3 answers to this question

After bouncing to clips , write down the exact position of the start of the midi clip. Drop it into the next daw in the same spot. (same bpm on both daws) You could also put a single midi note on the first measure to be used for alignment then edited out on the next daw. Dragging the end of the clip doesn't have any midi events in it to use for anything.   ms

Just to be clear, Cakewalk is not doing anything unusual; the issue is with import, not export. The starting timestamp of a MIDI file is typically ignored when importing to any DAW; the event timestamps will be offset to start wherever the play head (a.k.a. Now Time) is. Opening  the .MID file as a new project/song will honor the starting timestamp. So the quick way to deal with this is to open the .MID file as new project, select the track, and copy-paste it into the working project.

If you want to use the approach of inserting a 'dummy' event at 1:01:000, I suggest something harmless like Sustian Pedal Up (CC64=0) that doesn't cause any trouble if it isn't removed.

• Thanks 1