Newbie - No Sound On Track Playback

justinpbrown71

Question

I am a total beginner. I have started a new project in Basic mode & imported a wav audio file (I am recording using a Zoom R8. The audio file has been recorded at 24bit 44.1hz). I play the track that the audio file has been assigned to (track 1) & the visual representation of the track moves along the waveform, but there is no audio playback.

I don't know what info I need to supply to help remedy this.

4 answers to this question

Things to check:

- Zoom drivers installed and Zoom is set to Interface mode in its menu system.

- Appropriate driver mode selected in Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording (not sure what Zoom R8 supports)

- Zoom I/O ports are available and checked in Preferences > Audio > Devices.

- Zoom drivers are selected as Playback and Record Timing Masters in Preferences > Audio > Driver Settings.

- Track meter shows signal.

- Track outputs to Master bus.

- Master bus outputs to Zoom and meter shows signal.

- Monitors are connected to Zoom outputs and powered up. 

• Like 1

Okay, so the the audio file was just imported from the Zoom. The same steps apply for whatever interface you are using. If it's onboard sound, you will probably want to set the Driver mode to WASAPI Exclusive in Preferences, and go from there. But you might want to consider using the Zoom as your audio interface if you don't have some other dedicated interface.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Things to check:

- Zoom drivers installed and Zoom is set to Interface mode in its menu system.

- Appropriate driver mode selected in Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording (not sure what Zoom R8 supports)

- Zoom I/O ports are available and checked in Preferences > Audio > Devices.

- Zoom drivers are selected as Playback and Record Timing Masters in Preferences > Audio > Driver Settings.

- Track meter shows signal.

- Track outputs to Master bus.

- Master bus outputs to Zoom and meter shows signal.

- Monitors are connected to Zoom outputs and powered up. 

Thanks David. This is valuable info for sure, & I will save it for later use. But I haven't yet set up the R8 as an interface. I thought I would be able to save the audio track from the SD card which I have slotted into my laptop, so I have imported it into Cakewalk from that source.

I will need to learn an efficient workflow for working between the R8 & DAW. If you have any tips I am appreciative. Many thanks.

Edited by Justin P Brown

4 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Okay, so the the audio file was just imported from the Zoom. The same steps apply for whatever interface you are using. If it's onboard sound, you will probably want to set the Driver mode to WASAPI Exclusive in Preferences, and go from there. But you might want to consider using the Zoom as your audio interface if you don't have some other dedicated interface.

I am not using an alternative interface (onboard sound card), so I set the Driver mode as you suggested, but it made no difference, but it works with MME 32bit. From what I've been reading I think it would be better to use the R8 as a permanent interface with CW, so I'll go ahead & set it up.

Thanks for your time & assistance.