ART X-15 Ultrafoot Controller + Cakewalk

sadicus

Seeking setup advice for anyone familiar with ART X-15 Ultrafoot Controller.  A utility to see what kind of data each button sends would also be helpful.
...I found it, powers up, but have no idea if it can bu used with Cakewalk to control volume or used as Modwheel for Kontakt string expressions etc.

3 hours ago, sadicus said:

Seeking setup advice for anyone familiar with ART X-15 Ultrafoot Controller.  A utility to see what kind of data each button sends would also be helpful.
...I found it, powers up, but have no idea if it can bu used with Cakewalk to control volume or used as Modwheel for Kontakt string expressions etc.

I have a couple of these.  I believe the manual is online as a scanned document.  It is programmable, but I think you have to get down on the floor and use both hands to go into setup mode, and change the settings.  Or you can (a) see the default settings in the manual, (b) use a utility like Midi-Ox, (c) record button presses systematically into Cakewalk and look at the commands it issues in the event list, etc.

The pedal default to certain CCs, you can change those.  You cannot set a range for the pedals (i.e., no min and max values).

If you can't find the stand alone X-15 manual, you could look for any of the SGX FX processor manuals. Those might have the info, too.

There is an SGX editing utility someone did last century.  That might also include the info on the X-15 setup.

• Like 1

found the X-15 manual, and MIDI-OX. This is all experimental to me I don't know anything really about MIDI code.

The setup path?

MIDI cable out>  X-15> Ederol UM-3EX>  MIDIOX>  Cakewalk

Edited by sadicus

1 hour ago, sadicus said:

found the X-15 manual, and MIDI-OX. This is all experimental to me I don't know anything really about MIDI code.

The setup path?

MIDI cable out>  X-15> Ederol UM-3EX>  MIDIOX>  Cakewalk

I only use Midi-Ox as a diagnostic tool, without Cakewalk. Once I know gear is working, if I need to see midi data, I look in the Event List. I didn't use MIDI-Ox to route/view MIDI data going into Cakewalk. Not sure if it can be done.

As for learning MIDI, personally I use hex [hexidecimal, base 16] because to me MIDI data makes more sense in base 16 and no sense at all in base 10 [decimal numbers].  I would recommend it.  I used to have links for some good midi guides; not sure where they are now, but you can probably search for current sources. 

If you have a midi controller with a 5-pin DIN MIDI out, you can put it into the MIDI in of the X-15 and set the X-15 to midi merge mode. I did that when I used a "Digital Horn" + the X-15 to play a synth modules: 

Controller > X-15 > synth modules

From the picture, it looks like the UM-3EX has 3 MIDI ins and 3 midi outs. I assume it sends all 3 ins to a computer via usb midi. So, if you use the X-15 and other controllers you could separate midi inputs (controller 1, controller 2,  controller 3).  No need to have the X-15 in midi merge mode.

(1) X-15 MIDI Out > Ederol UM-3EX MIDI In 

(2a) Ederol UM-3EX usb > PC > MIDI-Ox to test gear 

(2b) Ederol UM-3EX usb > PC > Cakewalk to use/record midi data from X-15

If you can/want to use MIDI-Ox to route MIDI data to Cakewalk and monitor it on the fly:

(2) Ederol UM-3EX usb > PC > MIDI-Ox [X-15 in Input Window] > Cakewalk  

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1