Audio clip goes into "phantom" mode

Howdy'all.

I started to work with vocal recording and things have been running smoothly until now: a recorded WAV clip seems to be ghosted (compare the righthand with the lefthand clip on the same track). It was a second take, and the previous take was automatically muted. But, I unmuted it rather to be able to mute/unmute entire tracks quickly. Since these actions, the clips have gone into "phantom" mode, and don't play back. I made sure they were not muted. 

Can someone make sense of this?

wav.PNG

@Cobus Prinsloo
I'm betting you have comping on. (I NEVER use it!)
For my workflow this is the one thing that does not work for me.
In Preferences>Project>Record>Recording Mode is Comping selected? 
Cake will automatically Mute things and simply selecting a clip and using keystroke K will NOT unmute them!
Right clicking the clip and selecting unmute does not work.
You must go to the Tools module click on the Erase tool and select Mute.
mutetool.jpg.789a2e72440150a69a7bf50c3dd0cf0c.jpg

Swipe it across the "phantom" clip and it will now be active.
Dumbest thing I've ever seen! (sorry bakers, but this is just a major PITA)

HTH,

t

someone might chime in and tell us: "oh no, it doesn't work like that anymore blah blah blah" and why it's so wonderful.
I have a friend that "comps" like lightening, but IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!

3 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I'm betting you have comping on. (I NEVER use it!)

Yup -- comping is active!

The Mute tool didn't make a difference, because it wasn't muted in the first place. But -- when I erased small parts in a clip, then whatever waveforms were left, turned back to normal solids again. Weird behavior - probably a glitch!

6 hours ago, Cobus Prinsloo said:

Mute tool didn't make a difference, because it wasn't muted in the first place. But -- when I erased small parts in a clip, then whatever waveforms were left, turned back to normal solids again.

We’ll, that’s a new one!

t

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 5:28 AM, sjoens said:

OP's screengrab show Take Lane  T13, with the clip in question, as muted?

No, it doesn't. I decided to delete these phantom clips, making sure that the Comp option under the Smart tool is unchecked and re-recorded them. No problem so far (touch wood)! 

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't notice the clip above it.  I'm glad you solved it anyway.  Comping can be a handful sometimes.  I use Sound On Sound so I have more control over what's happening.

Edited by sjoens