It's hot.

In comms with Crg from the old forum on FB, he noted how hot it was in Vegas.
Here in Raleigh, we had a record high of 106 (where's the degree symbol?), which was just another summer day when I lived in Texas.
Still, while I like the heat, I can't take as much as I could when I was younger.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, paulo said:

And now for your mental attitude test.....

Is that a hole in the doughnut or is it a hole surrounded by doughnut ?

I'm from Canada. I see no hole, only Timbits, eh...

IMG_1271.jpg.a6bb2b73f8d3b83d43fdaba993420e83.jpg

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2024 at 12:19 PM, PhonoBrainer said:

Are you considering a life relocation, due to excessive summer temperatures? Just curious . . . if so, where might you move?

Not considering a move.

Coastal South Florida doesn't get as hot as some other places, although it is much hotter than it was when I was growing up here. Upper 80s were uncommon and low 90s were very rare. Now low 90s are not uncommon.

But near the coast, there is a sea breeze (wind chill factor). 

I do combat the heat by allowing myself to acclimate to summer temperatures. I do that by rarely running the AC. Seasonal acclimation takes time and if you live in AC, the summers will feel hotter. So the only time I turn the AC on is when I have guests, or if I'm getting ready for a gig and need to wear a suit or tuxedo. Most of our summer gigs are not formal though, Hawaiian shirt is OK.

I painted my roof bright white, and I planted shade trees around the perimeter of the house. The white roof reflects the heat up, the hot air rises, and the cooler air from under the trees comes in to replace it. No mater how hot it gets outside, it rarely gets over 82 in the house. But some fans up for the wind chill, and it's comfortable.

Plus, running the AC heats the planet 

The AC runs off the partially fossil fueled grid, which heats up the climate. The AC creates a heat island which also heats the climate — ||: Now that the climate is even hotter, the AC has to work harder, which heats the climate even more :|| (repeat ad infinitum, getting hotter every repeat)

I get cold under 70, so moving to Canada is out of the question. The hottest I've ever been was in Michigan. Driving to the gig it was 107. It never gets that hot in coastal Florida. Oh, I drove through Death Valley once in the summer, but that doesn't count because I was just passing through.

From a non-scientific observation, I think for the sake of corporate profits, we are going to heat the Earth to the point where we can no longer grow our crops, and the human race will become extinct. Probably not in my lifetime, but my grandchildren might see the beginning of the end of humanity, and they will blame us for being so wasteful.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

From a non-scientific observation, I think for the sake of corporate profits, we are going to heat the Earth to the point where we can no longer grow our crops, and the human race will become extinct. Probably not in my lifetime, but my grandchildren might see the beginning of the end of humanity, and they will blame us for being so wasteful.

What gets me is, the plants and factories that do pump out heat and polution should be made to "scrub" as they call it. Get it at the source rather than tax people to oblivion like they are attempting to do. That solves nothing.

Blaming the population and charging us for the problem they created is like cutting someone's leg off to fix a hang nail on the thumb of their left hand. It makes no sense.

They have near zero and actual zero emmision combustion engines. Give those companies breaks to make that new technology affordable and available to everyone. Focus on hybrids and stop pushing all electric on a grid that can't keep up now. Give tax breaks to people for planting trees. Pave the roads with something other than black heat absorbing/holding materials such as concrete. Concrete lasts longer and is better to drive on. Use the old style freon and make the systems that use it tighter so the units last 50 years like they used to rather than this new crap that is so explosive people refuse to work on appliances in your home anymore and tell you to just throw it out and buy new every 5 years.

There is a lot that could be done by the producers of the problem rather than blaming the people. But there's no money to be made by actually fixing the problem now is there?

Happy birthday, Rain. Am I remembering correctly, or did you not move to LV from Montreal? That would be an adjustment, for sure. I've been in LV when it was 110° and I've been in Montreal when it was, um, really really bone-chilling cold - whatever that is in Celsius.

Up here in Seattle homes don't have air conditioning, so when it's in the 80's at night, that's what it is in my bedroom, plus 5°. Very poor sleep the past couple nights.

At least I got my annual haircut last week in anticipation of the coming heat wave. Bald as a billiard ball now, and plan on keeping it that way through August.

Looks like you can. The attached executable above is a crude tool I slapped together years ago when I was translating my software into French and didn't have a French keyboard. It lists out the ASCII character set, so that any character can be copied/pasted from it. It also converts typed text into ASCII, hexadecimal or binary. Handy when you need to throw in the occasional °, ¥ or ¿.

ASCII.png.57ef1ff5f150cfb5be0df17fa31975ac.png

Sie tätigen den Anruf

Bei Standardtemperatur und -druck würde eine Tonne Kohlendioxid (CO₂) eine Kiste von 26 Fuß mal 26 Fuß x 26 Fuß füllen

Durch die Verbrennung fossiler Brennstoffe werden jedes Jahr etwa 35 Milliarden Tonnen CO2 freigesetzt

Das entspricht 35 Milliarden 26-Fuß-Würfeln, die jedes Jahr ausgestoßen werden

Mathe ist schwer

Edited by Jesse Screed
ran out of fingers

On 7/8/2024 at 1:19 PM, paulo said:

And now for your mental attitude test.....

Is that a hole in the doughnut or is it a hole surrounded by doughnut ?

More importantly, where does the hole go when you've finished the doughnut?

• Great Idea 1