FREE - Waves Flow Motion FM Synth from Sonic State (June 22nd to June 24th)

Lamia6

Just found this freebie offer from Sonic State. You can enter your email and name details now, and of course confirm your email in a link they send. After that the serials will be emailed out starting on the 22nd of June.

Offer ends on June 24th, 2024.

For more details go to this page:

https://sonicstate.com/news/2024/06/11/sonic-giveaway-free-waves-flow-motion-fm-synth-/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 11

9 minutes ago, audioschmaudio said:

I got it for free with Beat Magazine once. Never used it. The user interface is so awkward, I just don't get used to it.

Plus, it's from Waves, which means Waves shells and, eventually, WUP, even for freebies. I finally bit the bullet and wrote off all of the money I'd spent on Waves over the years. I uninstalled them all, along with the multiple v9, v10, v11 and v12 shells littering my VSTPlugins folder. I've been Waves free for over 4 years. 😇

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, John Maar said:

Plus, it's from Waves, which means Waves shells and, eventually, WUP, even for freebies. I finally bit the bullet and wrote off all of the money I'd spent on Waves over the years. I uninstalled them all, along with the multiple v9, v10, v11 and v12 shells littering my VSTPlugins folder. I've been Waves free for over 4 years. 😇

Wish I had the guts. 

3 hours ago, John Maar said:

Same.  I still snag the freebies and have plenty in my account but stopped installing them and haven't installed Waves at all on my M2.  Have plenty of other plugins that do the same or similar. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patrick Wichrowski said:

All sounds programmed in Flow Motion VSTi

People say is there any sound in space, you could imagine that playing up there.

be great if outer space was full of music like that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Uninstalled WAVES from my system ... as said above by @John Maar "the multiple v9, v10, v11 and v12 shells littering my VSTPlugins folder" + the "Waves shells" .. its all over the place.  Though i have lots of waves stuff Im not reinstalling it again .. even for free stuff :D 

What are “shells”?

5 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

What are “shells”?

@telecode 101

All Waves plugins are installed to a folder named "Plug-Ins V14" (or whichever version is installed on your device), which is inside the Waves folder, located on your system hard drive. These files should not be moved.

Instead, a WaveShell is placed in your host application's plugins folder. The WaveShell connects your host application to the plugins as a software gateway.

https://www.waves.com/support/how-to-use-waves-plugins-when-using-custom-vst-folder

And one finds a good few of these files strewn about the place in all VST folders

• Like 2

19 hours ago, John Maar said:

I registered for this freebie-- I already have the synth but its WUP is due, so this is like free WUP. I stopped buying Waves plugins 3 or 4 years ago, but I still use several Waves plugins pretty regularly. Especially the Abbey Road plugins. My hope is that another developer,  like Softube -- which has done some plugins with Abbey Road -- or Universal Audio makes similar plugins to the ones I really like (Chambers, ADT, Plates and Saturator). I'd rather buy the same plugin from another developer than pay WUP only to be in the same state after a year. 

Every deal anyone posts related to Waves should come with an explanation of WUP, so those who don't understand it can be made aware. If someone just getting into digital recording asked me about whether or not they should buy from Waves, I'd strongly recommend avoiding them.  Waves plugins are a potential future money pit. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@telecode 101

All Waves plugins are installed to a folder named "Plug-Ins V14" (or whichever version is installed on your device), which is inside the Waves folder, located on your system hard drive. These files should not be moved.

Instead, a WaveShell is placed in your host application's plugins folder. The WaveShell connects your host application to the plugins as a software gateway.

https://www.waves.com/support/how-to-use-waves-plugins-when-using-custom-vst-folder

And one finds a good few of these files strewn about the place in all VST folders

Waves often creates a new shell when you install a new plugin, even if there's an existing shell of the same version number. I think if you install, for example, 6 Waves plugins, one after the other, then only one shell is created. But if you install one or more new plugins, say one month later, a new shell with the same version number (V9, V10, V11, etc.) is created.

Waves reminds me of a design engineer I worked with back in the '80s. His one and only motivating goal in life was to create the most complicated solution possible and still have it work. He was tasked with designing a portable test device for our new model of RTUs (Remote Telemetry Units) for use in the oil and gas industry. The darn thing cost $6K, was super flaky and got tons of complaints from the field techs. I redesigned it, getting the cost down to just over $1K and it ran glitch-free. I wound up redesigning most of his work. On the day he was shown the front door and told not to let it hit him in the patootie on the way out, I went out for a 3 martini lunch (OK, it was margheritas). I don't think I was the only one. No one seemed to notice that I was s**t-faced that afternoon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I registered for this freebie-- I already have the synth but its WUP is due, so this is like free WUP. But I stopped buying Waves plugins 3 or 4 years ago, but I still use several Waves plugins pretty regularly. Especially the Abbey Road plugins. My hope is that another developer,  like Softube -- which has done some plugins with Abbey Road -- or Universal Audio makes similar plugins to the ones I really like (Chambers, ADT, Plates and Saturator). I'd rather buy the same plugin from another developer than pay WUP only to be in the same state after a year. 

Every deal anyone posts related to Waves should come with an explanation of WUP, so those who don't understand it can be made aware. If someone just getting into digital recording asked me about whether or not they should buy from Waves, I'd strongly recommend avoiding them.  Waves plugins are a potential future money pit. 

IIRC, WUP (Waves Update Plan) renewal cost is capped at around $250, once you get past a certain number of their plugins. Each new (to you) plugin comes with one year of free updates. Then WUP is required. Let's say that you have purchased a few at their sale (but what seems like regular) price of $29 and you've installed several freebies. Then comes WUP time. Holy smoly! An annual charge of $250 to keep WUP active? Fugetaboutit.

10 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

What are “shells”?

This is Waves method of gatekeeping by artificially holding back updates unless you have active extortion.. l mean WUP. 🤣 

So your old plugins get locked in that old shell / set of updates. If you buy a new plugin, it gets installed into the new shell with all the latest updates. If you pay their ransom.. (I mean WUP!) on that old plugin, it will be updated to the latest shell.

They're an annoying construct and like WUP should be abolished as they cause issues when scanning Waves plugins for some DAWs / audio editors.

• Like 1