Beatskillz 1-Week Flash Sale: SLAM2 for $1 – Don’t Miss Out!

cclarry

@cclarry, you know mixing, I don't. As most of the stuff I do is rock, and, as you know, I am incompetent at mixing and you are good at mixing, I can use your advice --  do you think this is worth me spending a buck on or is it more suited for EDM (as that is the genre the demos focus on)?   

32 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

@cclarry, you know mixing, I don't. As most of the stuff I do is rock, and, as you know, I am incompetent at mixing and you are good at mixing, I can use your advice --  do you think this is worth me spending a buck on or is it more suited for EDM (as that is the genre the demos focus on)?   

You don’t need it. Put the dollar in a can towards something you do need. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 2

51 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I would never use this...so can't speak from personal experience, but I, personally, wouldn't spend a buck on it...YMMV

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

But vocal lessons cost a lot more than a buck! ;)

I’ll remind you about the can every time you’re on your way to buy something you don’t need. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, MrFigg said:

I’ll remind you about the can every time you’re on your way to buy something you don’t need. 

Imagine what this forum would be like if we all did that? You know, @jude77 is a retired psychologist -- but he also shares our plugin / sampling hoarding addiction.  Jude could help us to transition to a support forum! For me, it helps that I've found that most of you guys know a lot more about mixing and mastering than I do, so even when I don't post, I'll read your posts and critques (I tend to weigh in on sample libraries, an area where I have a lot of experience and more knowledgeable opinions) and it is a serious factor in my purchase decisions. 

If we were able to encourage our fellow members that certain plugins and sample libraries were unnecessary -- especially when it comes during that little buzz we all feel when something is massively discounted -- it can go a long way in kind of awakening us from that trance we go into when GAS overtakes our critical thinking skills. 

No charge for the overanlaysis. You only saved me a buck, but I dig how you did it. Now help me with the United Plugins deal! I was thinking about the same acoustic guitar effect plugin you bought for $5 (not including your credit). Let me know what you think if you try it out, keeping in mind that you understand how to chain together effects to get a good sound and I don't have a clue and don't really have time to learn (or perhaps, I'm too lazy -- a distinct possibility). 

Edited by PavlovsCat

58 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Imagine what this forum would be like if we all did that? You know, @jude77 is a retired psychologist -- but he also shares our plugin / sampling hoarding addiction.  Jude could help us to transition to a support forum! For me, it helps that I've found that most of you guys know a lot more about mixing and mastering than I do, so even when I don't post, I'll read your posts and critques (I tend to weigh in on sample libraries, an area where I have a lot of experience and more knowledgeable opinions) and it is a serious factor in my purchase decisions. 

If we were able to encourage our fellow members that certain plugins and sample libraries were unnecessary -- especially when it comes during that little buzz we all feel when something is massively discounted -- it can go a long way in kind of awakening us from that trance we go into when GAS overtakes our critical thinking skills. 

No charge for the overanlysis. You only saved me a buck, but I dig how you did it. Now help me with the United Plugins deal! I was thinking about the same acoustic guitar effect plugin you bought for $5 (not including your credit). Let me know what you think if you try it out, keeping in mind that you understand how to chain together effects to get a good sound and I don't have a clue and don't really have time to learn (or perhaps, I'm too lazy -- a distinct possibility). 

Ok…question is are you going to be recording acoustic guitar? If no then you don’t need it. 
There’s a free version of it as well with some slight limitations but nearly the same.
To be honest it’s really just a compressor , eq and reverb in one. 

I guess that it really comes down to my first question.  As I said, I probably will never use it…but I might. Reason being that I’m a guitarist so there’s a high chance I’ll record acoustic guitar. 

Did that help?

€5 more in the can?

3 hours ago, MrFigg said:

Ok…question is are you going to be recording acoustic guitar? If no then you don’t need it. 
There’s a free version of it as well with some slight limitations but nearly the same.
To be honest it’s really just a compressor , eq and reverb in one. 

I guess that it really comes down to my first question.  As I said, I probably will never use it…but I might. Reason being that I’m a guitarist so there’s a high chance I’ll record acoustic guitar. 

Did that help?

€5 more in the can?

I only use sampled guitars (I technically could play and own guitars, but have bad tendinitis). So they're well recorded, but, of course,  I often like to use additional effects. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I only use sampled guitars (I technically could play and own guitars, but have bad tendinitis). So they're well recorded, but, of course,  I often like to use additional effects. 

Don’t buy it then. It’s not an effect. If you’re using sampled guitars they’ve probably already been recorded well. This is really for taming harsh audio recordings , pretty subtle and as said, not an effect. The GUI is horrible as well. Download the free one and try it on your samples if you’re not convinced. 

Edited by MrFigg
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MrFigg said:

Don’t buy it then. It’s not an effect. If you’re using sampled guitars they’ve probably already been recorded well. This is really for taming harsh audio recordings , pretty subtle and as said, not an effect. The GUI is horrible as well. Download the free one and try it on your samples if you’re not convinced. 

What are your thoughts on the SSL strips? I have a friend who loves the Drumstrip, which just went on sale (I posted in another thread). It seems those are top notch. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

What are your thoughts on the SSL strips? I have a friend who loves the Drumstrip, which just went on sale (I posted in another thread). It seems those are top notch. 

Yeah,, they’re probably fine but what are they going to add over what you’ve already got. Think about your song as a whole. If you slap a strip on your drums what’re you going to achieve in the final mix? Those strips aren’t an effect. In my opinion. You have enough plugins to shape your drums as it is. Save your cash…you’re nearly there on the singing lessons. 
and I’ll be honest, when I saw the “guitar” Strip I thought that’s for me so I trialed it and didn’t buy it, basically becasue there’s no need for it. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MrFigg said:

Yeah,, they’re probably fine but what are they going to add over what you’ve already got. Think about your song as a whole. If you slap a strip on your drums what’re you going to achieve in the final mix? Those strips aren’t an effect. In my opinion. You have enough plugins to shape your drums as it is. Save your cash…you’re nearly there on the singing lessons. 
and I’ll be honest, when I saw the “guitar” Strip I thought that’s for me so I trialed it and didn’t buy it, basically becasue there’s no need for it. 

Suddenly you've become the voice of reason in this forum. I think that's the first time anyone has ever done that here -- actually talking other forum members out of purchases -- and it's working.  Beware, if these developers find you, it's going to be trouble. ;) Now, if you could talk Bapu down from purchases,  you've become a master. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

19 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Suddenly you've become the voice of reason in this forum. I think that's the first time anyone has ever done that here -- actually talking other forum members out of purchases -- and it's working.  Beware, if these developers find you, it's going to be trouble. ;) Now, if you could talk Bapu down from purchases,  you've become a master. 

Nah. jngnz has talked me down a few times. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I use them as an improvement in workflow compared to creating a similar chain using separate plugins.

That helps me to save on insert slots as well as save on screen real estate.  The multiple meters/displays in the GUI, as the audio passes through the strip, is also easier to keep track of instead of shuffling between separate plugins.