Not a deal - Benn Jordan on reverbs

Fleer

1 hour ago, Mark Dineen said:

Thanks for this -- very informative!  High praise for Melda, and the LE version of turboreverb is more than enough for me.  Off to get Spacer now.

Same here. MTurboReverbLE rocks. 

• Like 1

What's the difference between Melda's Turbo plugins and their non-Turbo counterparts? I can see MTurboReverb is £256 while MReverb is £33, so I'm guessing the Turbo variants are the 'deluxe' versions?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, antler said:

What's the difference between Melda's Turbo plugins and their non-Turbo counterparts? I can see MTurboReverb is £256 while MReverb is £33, so I'm guessing the Turbo variants are the 'deluxe' versions?

I haven't watched this video in a while, but maybe it will help.  

• From the YT description (where the times are section links:
    • 00:00 - Intro
    • 00:42 - MConvolutionEZ
    • 02:15 - MConvolutionMB
    • 05:25 - MReverb
    • 08:17 - MTurboReverb
    • 13:26 - MCharmverb
    • 14:40 - Overview 
Edited by User 905133
fixed typo (an -> in)
  • Thanks 1

Melda's MConvolutionEZ is a great little convolution reverb plugin -- although it doesn't have all the controls I would like (but that's why you buy the paid version, after all) -- it comes with some gorgeous impulse responses that I especially love using on strings.  I highly recommend it, especially for a free plugin. 

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MConvolutionEZ

3 hours ago, Bapu said:

Eventide Blackhole Immersive Demo:

Installed!

Trying to decide if the $249.50 Crossgrade is worth it.

I own all their plug in's except for the immersive, and quite a few pedals and hardware units.  My upgrade offer is below.  Screenshot2024-05-19at1_40_15PM.thumb.png.7cfac765bb6d8fcc674eae1c3a2483e9.png

Safe to say that I'll drag ***** till Black Friday and reevaluate then.  I wanted Micropitch.  I seldom use Blackhole other than for reverb throws.  

4 hours ago, antler said:

The difference for the most part is the level of control.  I think the LE is kind of deceptive because  terms like "LE" and "Lite" often represent versions that are somewhat crippled.  In this case the LE versions are more akin to standard versions where the Turbo versions are on steroids.   The LE version have totally functional controls that often go beyond the functionality of hardware units being emulated.  On their own,  with LE you have collections of emulations that are debatably on par with much costlier emulations of other companies.  What the turbo versions offer is insane amounts  of control that are barely usable to the average consumer.  The advanced settings page is not even available in the LE versions, but when it is accessed the sky is the limit. I agree with Jordan that MTurbo Reverb is the single most powerful reverb vst available ..if you have the skill and patience.  In summary, le can debatably replace almost every reverb you own and turbo can arguably  replace every reverb you ever will own or even conceive.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, antler said:

The "Turbos" are different animals.

They go against the grain of the usual MeldaProduction stuff, which usually feature tons of power and configurability and all-business UI's, with no nods to emulating classic hardware. Although in the past couple of years, they introduced "devices" in many of their products, which allow for creating more skeuomorphic UI's with pre-configured knobs that control multiple parameters.

The Turbos are all about these devices, and make nods to classic hardware units, at least in look and layout. You call them up, turn the knobs and get results. They're not meant to be slavish recreations, but rather the results of studying the controls and response of vintage hardware and then doing it their way. In some cases, machine learning was used for creating devices. Each features a solid collection of them.

MTurboComp has Melda's takes on 19 classic compressors, including the Distressor, Fairchild, dbx 160, etc.

MTurboEQ does a similar thing for 12 EQ's, giving their take on the Pultec, Massive Passive, SSL board EQ, Neve, etc.

MTurboDelay doesn't nod to specific vintage units, rather giving you 41 different configurations that behave like analog, digital, tape, shimmer, and on and on seemingly forever. It's really a Swiss Army knife of delays, everything you can think of and more. Multitaps, tape style, it's hard to find a delay effect that it doesn't cover. Even Glitchmachines/Unfiltered Audio glitchy things are available. Oddly, what's missing is just a basic delay with just time, feedback, mix and modulation controls, but for that I have many other options.

MTurboReverb takes a similar route, although there is an attempt to sound similar to the Bricasti, and that emulation is my favorite in the bunch. It's the only reverb I've heard that equals the Exponential Audio Phoenix/Nimbus/Stratus algorithm. And it goes beyond that, of course. It can analyze an IR file and create an algorithm to approximate it. Stuff that's way way over my head. There are too many devices to count. If I could have only one reverb, it would be this one. Springs, plates, it has it all.

MTurboAmp is of course a guitar amp simulator, and it goes the emulation of classic gear route. I'm not a great fan of MTurboAmp, partly because for whatever reason, they omitted cabinet simulation. Who leaves cab emulation out of a guitar amp plug-in? You have to get MCabinet to get the cab sims. And the devices so far don't excite me. But I'm a harsh judge of amps sims and plenty of people seem to love MTurboAmp.

In my opinion, the best way to get the best of them (MTurboDelay and MTurboReverbLE plus MTurboCompLE) is to spring for the MEssentialsFX bundle when Melda runs a 50% off everything or 50% off bundles sale. In addition you get 7 other FX including MAutoDynamicEQ and MAutoAlign.

As far as the difference between the LE versions and the standard versions, the standard versions allow you to open the hood and do things like designing your own reverb algorithms, which I have no interest in doing at this point. The ones that come with it are amazing enough and life's too short. So IMO you're missing nothing with the LE versions.

Around my house, the ones that see use are MTurboDelay and MTurboReverb, because my classic analog EQ and compressor needs are met by T-RackS.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, antler said:

Thanks for the comprehensive write-up @Starship Krupa

Starship Krupa is the person who encouraged me to try Melda plugins in the first place. A great guy,  who's extremely helpful to the community. Just with @Starship Krupaand @cclarry alone -- not to mention so many other helpful people here (including you, Antler) - this community is deservedly my go to for all things DAW related. KVR might be a lot larger,  but for helpful and friendly people and the latest, greatest deals,  this forum is second to none. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

Agree with all above about the tweakability of the LE versions of the Melda stuff, even SoundFactory, but I don't have the skills, or patience, to go in and create/code a reverb, effect, or instument of my own that the full versions allow.  But the online preset exchange does allow you to try out presets created and shared by those who do have those skills -- a feature to take advantage of!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2