Feature Request for "Piano Roll View"

In the newer cakewalk versions the single thing that has caused most problems is the inability to select by time WITHIN THE PIANO ROLL VIEW.  If you select  by time while looking at two tracks, the new cakewalk selects ALL tracks.    That's ok in Track View, but it would be so helpful if the limited tracks chosen in a particular piano roll view were also chosen in ANY select operation done in that window.  

Not happening here - only notes in the highlighted track get selected for me when selecting in the timeline - but can't immediately think of a setting that would cause it to behave differently for you.

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry not to have stated clearly enough the problem.   It is the operation found (in track view) under the "Edit" menu: "Select", "By Time" that gives me difficulty from the piano roll window.   The way "select by time" works is to give a pop up window allowing entry of bar numbers for start and end of the selection.   I use the shortcut key FROM A PRV WINDOW very frequently to select a set of bars often far different than what is visible on the Timeline (which is why selecting by clicking on the timeline is not very useful).    

It is this operation, or some usable work around, that I'm hoping to find.    Some way to select a group of bars for a limited set of tracks, those in use in the PRV ..   

I don't have an active version of the old Sonar right now, but I'm pretty sure it worked this way during those days: from within a PRV (which then could be set to include ONLY certain tracks) select by time gave the selection for just those certain tracks.  

Edited by William Copper

Edit > Select by Time operates on tracks selected in the track view which can be more than just the one you have enabled for editing in the PRV, depending on how you switched views. When I want to select a time range in PRV, I usually just right-click and drag to lasso with or without snap enabled which will limit the selection to the the track that currently has focus in the PRV.

Perhaps this is a bug then, David:  I carefully made sure a certain set of tracks was selected in Track View, then opened PRV, then verified the same set of tracks was selected in both, then used Edit-Select by -Time .. the selection of tracks changed to ALL tracks.    Right-click and drag requires NOTES so it is impossible to select a group of controllers or patch changes or pitch wheel that come, as they generally do, BEFORE a certain note or notes.  

9 hours ago, William Copper said:

Right-click and drag requires NOTES so it is impossible to select a group of controllers or patch changes or pitch wheel that come, as they generally do, BEFORE a certain note or notes.  

You can lasso controllers just as well but I would probably just do it in the Track View to quickly get all of them.