BFD Drum Player - FREE

Not time-limited, no nag screens. Good basic sounds, especially for a free instrument.

It's a player and comes with a very useable acoustic drum kit. There's a variety of presets, which all have an info panel to suggest the genre of music they're best suited to. There are enough options to let you fine tune each kit element and save your tweaked kits as new presets. 

Like most drum VSTs you have a library of groove patterns, I'd say these are mainly useable and not too busy. 

You can purchase additional drum kits and grooves. (I suppose the point of player software is to get you to buy in to their eco-system). Once you have more than just a single kit you're able to mix-and-match elements, swapping the snare drum for example. I already had Addictive Drums 2 but the BFD player was included with my SSL interface bundle so I thought I'd give it a try. And yes, worth installing.

Easy to get to grips with and fast to use. While this doesn't have the bells and whistles of the flagship BFD software there's enough control and tweakability for me. I've got the factory kit plus a Pop Essentials (I think?) expansion and I've used both on demos with pleasing results. CPU load seems quite light, too, though I haven't measured it.  

It's free, why not give it a try. I'm having fun with it.

• Like 1

Gary has explained BFD free in detail, nothing left to explain, I use it from time to time and I am pleased. It has sounds close to the acoustic drum components. I noticed that I could get more natural sounds, sometimes using kick tones alone and sometimes snare tones, by blending with the other drum set. In addition to BFD, MODO drums also have satisfying sounds in the free version.

• Like 1

Just a quick one - did either of you install this software recently and if so did you have any problems?

When I click 'install' I am asked if I want all the files unzipping first. If I say yes it fails to open them all. If I click 'run'  instead of 'install'  I am asked if I want to allow the  unknown software to make changes to my pc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, brandon said:

am asked if I want to allow the  unknown software to make changes to my pc.

This is typical of a lot of free software. It’s up to you. I myself always proceed but I test free stuff on a old computer first to avoid unwanted files on my main DAW. 

I'm using the free Slate SSD 5.5 drums and I think they sound great. It comes with 3 kits. The Modo drums was my fave but it was giving me problems(the common theory was it was a  graphics problem) but the Slate drums work great.