Midi Events Not Showing on Clip after Recording CC's

Stephen Power

Question

This is a puzzle for me, but I assume it's something quite basic, so apologies for the newbie question.

I've just discovered how to record CC's (mainly Expression and Modulation) AFTER recording the instrument midi notes. Basically, I'm going back over the recorded instrument with 'sound on sound' set and only inputting the midi controller set to CC 11 and CC1.

It works very well, and allows me to have several goes at recording the Expression and mod wheel inputs.

But, When I've recorded the CC's, the clip with the midi events goes blank. I can restore it by right-clicking and then 'bounce to clip', but I'm sure that should not be necessary.

The clip plays but looks completely blank. The events are visible in the PRV.

Can you please explain why that is happening and how to avoid the clip going blank? Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Stephen Power

2 answers to this question

This is because the controllers are being recorded into a second Take Lane, and when lanes are not showing the clips are 'layered' in the parent track such that the controller clip can be hiding the notes clip. Bounce to Clip(s) combines them into one clip which would normally be what you want. If you show lanes after that (Shift+T or click the Take Lanes button at the lower left corner of the track), you'll see there's now an empty lane that you can delete. It has been frequently requested that CbB have an option to merge new recordings into existing clips but this has not yet been implemented.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Baay said:

This is because the controllers are being recorded into a second Take Lane, and when lanes are not showing the clips are 'layered' in the parent track such that the controller clip can be hiding the notes clip. Bounce to Clip(s) combines them into one clip which would normally be what you want. If you show lanes after that (Shift+T or click the Take Lanes button at the lower left corner of the track), you'll see there's now an empty lane that you can delete. It has been frequently requested that CbB have an option to merge new recordings into existing clips but this has not yet been implemented.

That's very helpful - thank you!