Editing Midi Drums = How to control "take" tracks

Roy Slough

Question

I am working through my drum midi track. I have the basic beat and am now adding fills and highlights. When I have completed this for the 1st verse I would like to name that clip and copy it for the second and third verse and use a similar process for the chorus. I know a real drummer probably would introduce further variations as the song progresses and maybe I will but just getting the structure complete would be great.

So.... I have added a snare fill at the end of the first verse to bring in the chorus.
When looking at the tracks I noticed a small section of the clip at the end of the verse which appeared separate and when I expanded to show the take tracks I noticed the snare fill was in a separate take clip. I had thought I was editing inside the "main clip" but it seems to appear as a "take" clip which runs from the verse just into the chorus (see screenshot)

How do I deal with these separate Clips/takes? When I copy the drum verse I want to copy the snare fill as well. Then there may be further fills etc. I add, sometimes I may want to include these as part of the "main" clip but do I have the option of leaving these separate so I can choose to copy or exclude as desired.

I have watched a video on track comping to choose sections of recordings in multiple takes, which has educated me in the concept of take lanes, but this concept does not apply here as I want all of the take lanes.

Therefore does anyone have advice on dealing with take lanes processing midi information OR can direct me to a video which could educate me, Thanks

CbB Editing Midi Drums.png

1 answer to this question

You can lasso clips in lanes (or select an entire track)and execute Bounce to Clip(s) (from the Clips menu in the Track View or the clip context menu  to combine them, and then delete the empty take lane. CbB keeps recorded takes separate by default and does not have the oft-requested option to automatically merge new input into an existing clip while recording. You can always split clips within a lane or selectively cut/paste/drag some notes to a different lane after the fact to facilitate arranging.