Pitch shifting on Cakewalk

Hello, 

I noticed that on Cakewalk in the Pitchshifter effects section "only" Melodyne is available:   it's a great reference software, for those who know how to use it though (and those who can afford to buy it). Anyway, I can't understand how it works even as a free player.   

I need simple functions: to study parts of a song or solo parts I have to transpose a track to the most suitable key of the choir in which I am lead guitar and I also need to be able to vary the tempo of the song, in particular to slow it down. I don't need to make corrections on groups of notes or similar precision editing. 

Can you do these simple tasks in real-time with Melodyne Player even if you can't save the change? And how? 

Suppose, for example, in the current case, that I have to transpose a whole tone down the original key and then slow down the original tempo (Moises detected automatically 88 bpm). 

Alternatively, what good free plug-ins could I use to do this? maybe even easier to use. 

many thanks! 

Dimitri 

Edited by Dimitri

9 minutes ago, Dimitri said:

what good free plug-ins could I use to do this?

Kilohearts Essentials includes both pitch shifting and slow-down FX (along with over 30 other very useful plug-ins).

There are also features of Cakewalk apart from Melodyne that can be used to slow down audio while maintaining pitch.

The Loop Construction view has facilities for changing pitch, but I find it easier to just use the one in Kilohearts Essentials.

What I'm still looking for is a plug-in or utility that can analyze music and tell me if it's tuned to A=440 and if not, by how much.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Kilohearts Essentials includes both pitch shifting and slow-down FX (along with over 30 other very useful plug-ins).

There are also features of Cakewalk apart from Melodyne that can be used to slow down audio while maintaining pitch.

The Loop Construction view has facilities for changing pitch, but I find it easier to just use the one in Kilohearts Essentials.

Thanks @Starship Krupa  !   i'll give a try to that suite of softwares you suggested me , it could be very useful for other things too.

Edited by Dimitri

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

There’s also software called Virtual DJ that does this with the simple movement of sliders. 

Cakewalk is to clunky to do this. 

I think even Audacity can do this easily. 

Thanks @John Vere !    actually even Audacity could be more than enough, I hadn't thought of that. 

25 minutes ago, Dimitri said:

i'll give a try to that suite of softwares you suggested me , it could be very useful for other things too.

If you don't find other highly useful FX in that bundle, I'd be very surprised! I use at least one Kilohearts Essentials plug-in on every project (KHs Limiter, if nothing else, set to -3dB to prevent synths from pegging Sonar's meters).

A good resource for discovering freeware effects is this thread on this forum. It's coming up on 5 years of recommendations by Cakewalk users such as myself:

• Thanks 1

+1 on the Kilohearts bundle. Before I had melodyne, I used it on vocals, harmonica, bass, even on rain & thunder samples and it sounds great. I still use it to quickly shift stuff. I've only tried a few of the effects but they've all run super smooth. If you can afford the free price tag, I say go for it 👍

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 4:06 PM, T Boog said:

I've only tried a few of the effects but they've all run super smooth.

Low on resources and sound great. The only drawback, if you consider it a drawback, is the minimalist UI. But that has its own charms, sometimes less is more.

In general, I'd love it if Kilohearts either improved on the drab color schemes of all of their stuff or allowed users to set them. I'd love a black background with colored highlights. But then again, it may not be the worst thing for a plug-in UI to fade into the background, if that's your thing.

I recommend taking an hour or so to go through the bundle and see if there are other things you find useful. It seems like you're into sound design, and there is a reverser and a slow-down (among many other gems) included. Also bitcrusher, and so on. Too many goodies to remember.